Moving OS to new x86 computer

Post by Dipesh Hinduj » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:48:57

Ok, I built a Solaris 8 system on a rather cheap and weak x86
system.  Started testing things, learning, and finding out what I could
use it for.  Now the system is very important and provides services to
all my users everyday.  Basically it grew up but now it is too big for
it's clothes.  Is there an elegant way to move just the hard disk maybe
from one PC to a far more powerful x86 server?  Or is Solaris able to be
cloned?  What kind of hardware configuration steps would it take to do
this?

Thanks for your help.

--

Moving OS to new x86 computer

Post by John D Groenve » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:23:13

http://sun.drydog.com/faq/s86faq.html#7.8
As the FAQ says, its possible but not easy.
John

1. Moving BSD hard disk to a new computer

The computer that I was running my FreeBSD went belly up so I took its IDE
harddisk(the only disk) and put it in a differnt computer.

Now when I start this computer, I get a prompt:

mountroot>

I typed ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

and then I get a bunch of error messages as follow:

Warning:  / was not properly dismounted
swapon:  /dev/ad4s1b: Device not configured
Can't opeen /dev/ad4s1a: Device not configured
/dev/ad4s1a: Can't check file system
/dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPETED INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck Manually
Automatic file system check failed .. help!
Enter full path name of shell or return for /bin/sh

As you can see unlike the past I've not been given the username and
password.

Any help will be appreciated.

MotorMan

2. 80ns and 60ns simms: will Linux work?

3. Help moving SCO boot HD to new computer

4. sendmail & redhat 7.2

5. Moving Linux Disk to new computer

6. Equivalent of $? in csh?

7. Moving a SCO Openserver 4.0 to a new Computer/Disk (5.0.4)

8. Root filesystem problem

9. Moving of existing SCO Unix OS Rel 3.0 Version 2 to a new hard disk

10. Upgrading to new computer & OS version

11. New Oracle Sun computer with a small OS

12. Installing Solarix 8 x86 on new computer...

13. Secret Basketball Moves (New Moves 11)