stty: : No such device or address

Post by James Rajasing » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

Any idea as to what could be wrong?

stty -a
speed 9600 baud;
rows = 44; columns = 109; ypixels = 670; xpixels = 991;
eucw 1:0:0:0, scrw 1:0:0:0
intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^?;
eof = ^d; eol = ^m; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>;
start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crtscts
-crtsxoff -parext
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-tostop echoctl -echoprt e*-defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel

uname -a
SunOS MachineName 5.5.1 Generic_103640-17 sun4m sparc
SUNW,SPARCstation-10

I use ksh, xterm and TERM is set to xterm.

TIA,
James

Post by Roland Titz » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
> with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

> Any idea as to what could be wrong?

> stty -a
> speed 9600 baud;
> rows = 44; columns = 109; ypixels = 670; xpixels = 991;
> eucw 1:0:0:0, scrw 1:0:0:0
> intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^?;
> eof = ^d; eol = ^m; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>;
> start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
> rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
> parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crtscts -crtsxoff
> -parext
> -ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
> ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
> isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
> -tostop echoctl -echoprt e*-defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
> opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel

> uname -a
> SunOS MachineName 5.5.1 Generic_103640-17 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

> I use ksh, xterm and TERM is set to xterm.

Hi James,

I would recommend to reconfigure the device tree using "reboot -- -r".
Maybe this solves your problem.
--

Regards
Roland Titze

stty: : No such device or address

Post by James Rajasing » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply Ken.
In my .profile I had set
    stty erase "^H"
Changing the line to
    test -t 0 && stty erase "^H"
did the trick.
Thanks, James

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:45:18 -0400,

> >I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
> >with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

> >Any idea as to what could be wrong?

> A guess: the .rc file for your shell (e.g., .cshrc, .bashrc)
> contains a stty command.  When vi runs a filter in a subshell,
> it does not have stdin attached to a tty device, and so stty
> gives the error message in the Subject: line of this thread.

> The first thing to do is question whether the stty command
> in the dot-rc file belongs there, or is better placed in
> the login file (.login, .profile, etc.).  If you decide that
> it really does belong in the rc file, then either protect
> the stty call with a test that stdin is a tty:
>    test -t 0 && stty cs8
> or do the stty unconditionally, but with its stderr redirected:
>    stty cs8 2>/dev/null

>                 --Ken Pizzini

> P.S.:

> Please don't post MIME or HTML to newsgroups unless you have a very
> good reason.

stty: : No such device or address

Post by James Rajasing » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

.profile is being executed because I have set ENV to ~/.profile

> Thanks for the reply Ken.
> In my .profile I had set
>     stty erase "^H"
> Changing the line to
>     test -t 0 && stty erase "^H"
> did the trick.
> Thanks, James

> > On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:45:18 -0400,

> > >I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
> > >with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

> > >Any idea as to what could be wrong?

> > A guess: the .rc file for your shell (e.g., .cshrc, .bashrc)
> > contains a stty command.  When vi runs a filter in a subshell,
> > it does not have stdin attached to a tty device, and so stty
> > gives the error message in the Subject: line of this thread.

> > The first thing to do is question whether the stty command
> > in the dot-rc file belongs there, or is better placed in
> > the login file (.login, .profile, etc.).  If you decide that
> > it really does belong in the rc file, then either protect
> > the stty call with a test that stdin is a tty:
> >    test -t 0 && stty cs8
> > or do the stty unconditionally, but with its stderr redirected:
> >    stty cs8 2>/dev/null

> >                 --Ken Pizzini

> > P.S.:

> > Please don't post MIME or HTML to newsgroups unless you have a very
> > good reason.

1. stty: : No such device or address

i schedule the script, stopapp.sh in crontab on sunday.

stopapp.sh script
#!/sbin/sh
#shutdown processes before backup

su - myapps

cd $HOME/System/bin

when i came to work on monday, i got a mail from the system which is
as belows

stty: : No such device or address
stty: : No such device or address
logout
/sysadmin/bkup/bin/stopappprocess.sh: //System/bin: does not exist

echo $HOME will give /export/myapps
myapps user home directory is /export/myapps..
myapps default shell is sh

so the command in stopapp.sh "cd $HOME/System/bin" should bring me to
/export/myapps/System/bin.

And i dont see what is the error that the mail i got is complaining
about.

please help.

2. socket programming

3. setting up virtual server hosting

4. stty -g output mapping to stty -a output

5. Slackware xxgdb broken?

6. 'stty -opost' or 'stty -onlcr' don't work ?!

7. Ever backgrounded a ping or gotten fping to work???

8. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

9. stty < /dev/modem - Device busy

10. stty: : Inappropriate ioctl for device

11. stty: tcgetattr failed: No such device (error 19)