HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

Post by Flemming H?jstrup Hans » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

Operating System: Solaris 2.5, 2.6 / OpenWindows
Hardware: Sun Sparc

Printer: HP LaserJet 4000N with HP JetDirect PrinterServer
Software: HP JetAdmin for UNIX (Version D.05.15)

By means of JetAdmin I have added a local printer to a Sun Sparc
Server, and that has been tested to be ok.

Question: Is it so, that if I would like to share that printer among
several work stations and to use local printing, then I have to
install the entire JetAdmin on each and add a local printer???
:-(

I have tried to "share -F nfs -o 'anon=0,rw' /opt/hpnp" the
installed JetAdmin directory  and locally "mounted with "rw".

I can start up JetAmin, answer the proper questions,
but when the installation procedure starts, it continues with error
messages, and the installation shells don't work correctly. No local
spooler has been added correctly!

With admintool I can add a remote printer (on the server). That works
ok, but that's not what I want (with a network-printer).

Best regards,
Flemming
--
Flemming H?jstrup Hansen

Hovedstadsregionens Statistikkontor
(Greater Copenhagen Statistical Office)

HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We experience a lot of dropped connections and retries
when severl hosts try to talk to a direct connect at the
same time.

I think you should be able to use JetDirect on one sparc
and set the others up as clients.

You might want to look in the printing chapters of Janice
Winsor's books on Solaris Sys. ADM if the limited options
in Admintool don't work for you.

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \

HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

Post by wu » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Just use admintool on the clients to add a remote printer, fill in
the printer name with the spooler name on the (Sun Sparc)server, fill in
also
the server(Sun Sparc) name.
It is much easier to set up the client in this way.

--Wu

Quote:

> Hi all,

> Operating System: Solaris 2.5, 2.6 / OpenWindows
> Hardware: Sun Sparc

> Printer: HP LaserJet 4000N with HP JetDirect PrinterServer
> Software: HP JetAdmin for UNIX (Version D.05.15)

> By means of JetAdmin I have added a local printer to a Sun Sparc
> Server, and that has been tested to be ok.

> Question: Is it so, that if I would like to share that printer among
> several work stations and to use local printing, then I have to
> install the entire JetAdmin on each and add a local printer???
> :-(

> I have tried to "share -F nfs -o 'anon=0,rw' /opt/hpnp" the
> installed JetAdmin directory  and locally "mounted with "rw".

> I can start up JetAmin, answer the proper questions,
> but when the installation procedure starts, it continues with error
> messages, and the installation shells don't work correctly. No local
> spooler has been added correctly!

> With admintool I can add a remote printer (on the server). That works
> ok, but that's not what I want (with a network-printer).

> Best regards,
> Flemming
> --
> Flemming H?jstrup Hansen

> Hovedstadsregionens Statistikkontor
> (Greater Copenhagen Statistical Office)

HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

Post by Flemming H?jstrup Hans » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

guiding me.

> Just use admintool on the clients to add a remote printer, fill in
> the printer name with the spooler name on the (Sun Sparc)server, fill in
> also
> the server(Sun Sparc) name.
> It is much easier to set up the client in this way.

Yes. I have installed JetAdmin on the (Sun Sparc) server and by means of
that configured the printer.

On the (Sun Sparc classic) client(s) I have added a remote printer -
Solaris 2.6 by means of admintool. It sends an error message "add
remote printer failed", but the printer is added correctly.

> You might want to look in the printing chapters of Janice
> Winsor's books on Solaris Sys. ADM if the limited options
> in Admintool don't work for you.

Yes. Solaris 2.5 admintool doesn't recognize the printer on the
server (running Solaris 2.5 or 2.6). It sends a similar error message
as above and the printer is _not_ added. So I configured those clients
with UNIX commands: lpsystem and lpadmin.

> We experience a lot of dropped connections and retries
> when severel hosts try to talk to a direct connect at the
> same time.

I tried that too and very often the console window on work station(s)
got the error message:

Message from fhh on <host> (????)
Error transfering print job ...
check queue for ...

but no print was missing.

Instead of using JetAmin I tried to connect a server (Solaris 2.6) by
means of admintool "Access to printer" to use the LP(D) Print Service
on the Jet Direct Server (in the printer). That works ok too, but
when the printer is printing

lpstat -o or -p is VERY VERY slow.
lpstat -t gives the message:
printer ... unknown state. enabled since ... .

Does anyone know how to "speed up" lpstat ?
--
Flemming H?jstrup Hansen

Hovedstadsregionens Statistikkontor
(Greater Copenhagen Statistical Office)

HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

Post by Thomas Tornblo » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Instead of using JetAmin I tried to connect a server (Solaris 2.6) by
> means of admintool "Access to printer" to use the LP(D) Print Service
> on the Jet Direct Server (in the printer). That works ok too, but
> when the printer is printing

> lpstat -o or -p is VERY VERY slow.
> lpstat -t gives the message:
> printer ... unknown state. enabled since ... .

> Does anyone know how to "speed up" lpstat ?

The problem is probably that the printer is busy handling the request
and wont answer the status requests. Printers doesn't multitask too well.

In 2.6 you might also give the "netpr" style printing a try.

We have an HP8000 that we drive both with JetAdmin and with netpr.

I have hacked the netstandard script to allow duplex printing and selecting
paper source and it works like a charm.

Check out the docs on http://docs.sun.com on how to set up a network
printer.

Quote:> --
> Flemming H?jstrup Hansen

> Hovedstadsregionens Statistikkontor
> (Greater Copenhagen Statistical Office)

Thomas
--

Sun Microsystems AB      Fax: +46 8 623 9102

1. Using lp to print to local 95 printer

We use Anzio Lite, a very good shareware terminal program, to print to
Win95 local printers.  That is, users log in, run a unix char based
program, and normally print to the printer attached to their 95
computer, using lprint.  Now we have a program which requires that
printing be done through lp.

I created a printer named local with /dev/null as the device.  Below is
the last paragraph of the interface file which I modified from a copy of
some other in the model dir.  The key line is the one beginning with
0<file ....  From the command line it works fine.  Can anyone tell me
what needs doing to make it work in the shellfile?

# send the file(s) to the standard out $copies times

while   [ "$copies" -gt 0 ]
do
        for file in $files
        do
                # this works from cmd line!
                0<$file eval /db/sys/bin/lprint 2>&1
        done

        copies=`expr $copies - 1`
done
#Draining characters might be necessary
${DRAIN}

exit 0

2. PPPProbs

3. 1 * THKRJICLD-lp printing: Submitting ps file to network printers

4. Red Hat Linux 5.1 tty screen saver

5. lp printing: Submitting ps file to network printers

6. save & restore env variables - how?

7. Printing to networked printers through Linux using X-stations as print servers

8. Routing question

9. Linux won't print to my local printer, only to network

10. Printing to two printers from one queue (Printers print identically not load balancing)

11. help on printing to HP network printers??

12. Printing to HP JetDirect Network-Attached Printers

13. Printing to HP printer with network card