RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

Post by Hank Kingsle » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:49:25

I have some PC's with RedHat 7.1 installed.  I've editted the /etc/inittab
to make the Redhat boot to runlevel (init) 5, which makes it act like an X
client (actually, server for those of u who understand X).  I then select a
Solaris 8 box on my network from the X menu that is displayed.  I can log
onto it fine, except for the Adobe/Motif splash page being corrupted.
However, when I try and run some things off a solaris server such as the
Java control panel I find that it won't render correctly and it get messages
about installed fonts.  Apps like netscape display correctly.

Any ideas as I was hoping that I could use Linux as an X terminal for all
applications on Solaris?

--
NOSPAM: remove _ to email me.

RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

Post by Hank Kingsle » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:40:55

And the error's that I get in the shell window repeat "16bit color depth not
supported".

Quote:> I have some PC's with RedHat 7.1 installed.  I've editted the /etc/inittab

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:18:29

|I have some PC's with RedHat 7.1 installed.  I've editted the /etc/inittab
|to make the Redhat boot to runlevel (init) 5, which makes it act like an X
|client (actually, server for those of u who understand X).  I then select a
|Solaris 8 box on my network from the X menu that is displayed.  I can log
|onto it fine, except for the Adobe/Motif splash page being corrupted.
|However, when I try and run some things off a solaris server such as the
|Java control panel I find that it won't render correctly and it get messages
|about installed fonts.  Apps like netscape display correctly.

For the font problems, try 'xset fp+ tcp:hostname/7100' (replace
hostname with the name of the Xserver box).

Post by bdonla » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 05:48:09

> And the error's that I get in the shell window repeat "16bit color depth
> not supported".

Your X server isn't running in 16bit mode. Reconfigure it to do so.

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:38:42

|And the error's that I get in the shell window repeat "16bit color depth not
|supported".

Try changing your X server to 8 bit or 24 bit mode - the Solaris version
of Java doesn't play nicely with 16-bit color depths.

RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

Post by Hank Kingsle » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:31:16

How do I do this?  I take it I change it on the Linux box.

> |And the error's that I get in the shell window repeat "16bit color depth
not
> |supported".

> Try changing your X server to 8 bit or 24 bit mode - the Solaris version
> of Java doesn't play nicely with 16-bit color depths.

> --

>   Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

Post by Hank Kingsle » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:51:40

Fixed it.
I used "Xconfigurator" on Linux and set the colour depth to 24 bit.

> How do I do this?  I take it I change it on the Linux box.

> > |And the error's that I get in the shell window repeat "16bit color
depth
> not
> > |supported".

> > Try changing your X server to 8 bit or 24 bit mode - the Solaris version
> > of Java doesn't play nicely with 16-bit color depths.

> > --

> >   Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

RedHat 7.1 as X client for Solaris 8 servers - font problem

Post by Richard Pettit [SE Toolkit Author » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 23:27:11

> And the error's that I get in the shell window repeat "16bit color depth not
> supported".

I got around most of my issues by configuring the X server to run in 24 bit mode.

Rich

---- Author, SE Toolkit
---- SE Toolkit.com                        http://www.setoolkit.com

1. RedHat 7.1 kde font problem

Dear all

I upgraded my PC from RedHat 6.2 to 7.1. I have two problems with kde

1) the font of all the KDE applications are unreadable. They are
"clearlyu" for all field (General, Icons, etc..)
I tried to change them using Control Center with no success, when I
close and reopen kcontrol
the fonts setting are unchanged.
If I launch a kde application from a terminal (for istance ktip) i get
the message:

** Warning: charset ansi_x3.4-1968 is not known. using ISO 8859-1
instead

All begun when one users during the first login choose the convert
buttons to upgrade
existing kde 1.x configuration file. All the users who choose to
eliminate those configuration file has no problem.
Let say also that If I create e new users he also has the same unreadble
"clearlyu" font.

2) when I close the session the KDE session the who command still
recognize users created logged in during the kde session on terminal
pts/n (n is integer number). Maybe KDE
does not upgrade correctly the utmp/wtmt files?

Any suggestions??

Thanks

--
Bonanno Giovanni                     Dipartimento Fisica
Unit I.N.F.M. di Palermo            e Tecnologie Relative

2. How many sockets and how to change?

3. Problems installing NIS+ client on Linux RedHat 7.1

4. Solaris 2.6 system admin - Sun CERTIFICATION exam

5. Redhat 7.1 client pc dns problem...

6. No mouse with SVGALIB and Kernel 1.1.95

7. Redhat 7.1 workstation connecting to RedHat 6.2 server

8. FreeBSD-style MD5ish Crypt for Java

9. Solaris + Java Swing Client + NT X-Server = font problems

10. RedHat 7.1 Mail Server Problem

11. Newbie: Redhat 7.1 / Ximian Fixed Font Crash

12. True Type Fonts in Redhat 7.1

13. NIS client setup on RedHat 7.1