dp-3.1.2 and Solaris 2.3 (can't make it work)

dp-3.1.2 and Solaris 2.3 (can't make it work)

Post by Hugo Andrade Cartaxei » Fri, 01 Jul 1994 21:27:24

Hi All,

 I'm having some problems setting up a PPP link on a my SS10.
 Any help would be very appreciated.

 My envoirnment is:
 SS10, Solaris 2.3, dp-3.1.2, SmartLink Modem (9624V).

 My goal (for now) if to have a single PPP connection/interface which
serves a PC (with Camaleon (ort?) and Intel 144).  The PC take the
initiative connecting the (Sun) modem, and this one answer the PC
establishing the PPP link.

 And I can't manage to have it work!

 My basic question are:

 1) when my workstation boots it  gives the following error:

    SIOCSIFDSTADDR: IFF_POINTOPOINT no set

    QUESTION: Why is this ?
              The dp loadable module is loaded at boot time !
              How to avoid it ?

 2) I do have dp0 interface setup as follows:

# ifconfig dp0
dp0: flags=f1<UP,POINTOPOINT,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,NOARP> mtu 1500
        inet 192.42.173.5 --> 192.42.173.1 netmask ffffff00

    Both IP addresses are in a diferent network.

 3) How to configure my modem at the SUN side?
    The docs doesn't say anything about it.

 4) What program runs over my /dev/term/a driver ?

 5) In dp's README file you mention the pmadm command with ``ttymon0''
    arg as a pmtag.  However in my computer this pmtag is unknown.
    The most close I can get is ``zsmon'' - and this is the one I'm
    using -- Is this correct ?

tks in adv for any help you may give,
--

This .sig was made with 94% recycled pixels. Please, help our environment!

1. dp-3.1.2 / Solaris 2.3 config

First off, I need to apologize for being such a clueless newbie when it
comes to PPP.

SITUATION: I have a SPARC laptop with Solaris 2.3 and DP-3.1.2.  I have
gotten it to compile and I am struggling with the configuration.

My laptop has it's own IP address and it is known on the NIS network at
work.  I would like to use my laptop, via PPP, to dial in and access
more than just text-based apps.

I have the modem config set up correctly, because 'tip' works well.  I
can dial in at an effective baud rate of 38400.

The modem pool at work (Telebit Trailblazer with 24 nodes) gives a menu
after login and passwd verification which asks if you want to do a SLIP,
PPP, telnet, rlogin, etc connection.  I am not worried about that part,
because I'll hash out the 'chat script' once I get the modem to dial.

My problem is that I don't understand how dp-3.1.2 works.  If I tip into
the modem pool and select PPP packets start to come across.  I don't see
how running another shell and executing 'ppp' will work.  I still have a
shell spitting packets.

My dp log file says the daemon is running OK.  I have NO idea how to
force the modem to "dial-on-demand" to start the ppp hookup.  The docs
on dp are somewhat sparse and my TCP/IP handbook is sparser.

When I am at work, I plug in and the net knows my machine's IP.  When
I'm remote I'm supposed to use one of the modem pool's IP addresses?

What do I do?  Route command?  ppp command?  Can someone provide some
examples of their various config file?  I could end up being any of 24 IP
addresses - I don't see a dynamic IP address allocation option for the
remote end...  CONFUSED.  ANY help is MOST appreciated!  Pointing me
toward a FAQ or another help group is appreciated!

+------------------------+-----------------------------------+     /mmm\
| Jason C. Davis / EDS   | Client Server Technology Services |     (. .)
| 750 Tower Dr.  MS 3234 | CSTS - EDS Sun Support Center     |       u

| (810)265-8015    8/365 | profs: PC4X400(JDAVIS02)          |  oOOo   oOOo
+------------------------+-----------------------------------+ #############

2. stelnet source

3. DP-3.1.2 binaries for Solaris 2.3?

4. UUCP has confused me

5. ISA AWE64 blasts!! during boot.

6. dp-3.1.2

7. pppd automatisch terminieren, wenn die Verbindung tot ist?

8. dp-3.1.2 & Solaris2.4(x86)

9. Help with I18N (Internationalization ) under Motif 1.2, X11R5 and Solaris 2.3

10. Weird error with X11R5 / Motif 1.2 on Solaris 2.3 and NCD X-terminals

11. HELP!: Solaris 2.3/OW 3.3: Mailtool doesn't work!

12. Modems don't work - Solaris 2.3