Covering my bases...

Post by n-o-s-p-a-mjell » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 02:59:06

[This is a second post to the NG.  My original post has not shown up to
this group after 13 hours, so I'm reposting from another usenet feed.  My
apologies for the double post *if* the original one makes it here!]

Hi all,

I've got a weird problem that I'd like to run past the group.  I've got
a Solaris7 box (SPARC) behind a Cisco Pix firewall.  The Solaris is
configured with an internal IP address of 10.3.1.x.

I'm having to switch IP addresses (different T1 circuit provider), and
so the router/firewall/cisco guy (for lack of better title :) has
another interface on the Pix set up with that circuit.

So, since my box is set up with an internal address, there isn't much
for me to do (other than DNS stuffs), but just to make sure I check my
config files and this is what I have:

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.3.1.x      shams loghost

/etc/defaultrouter:
10.3.1.1

/etc/netmasks:
10.0.0.0        255.255.255.0

Now this all looks ok to me, and when on the old (soon to be replaced)
network, I can connect up to the 'net with no problems (mind you this is
also going through the Pix, but on a different interface) without even
touching anything (well, a ifconfig hme0 down/up helps).  When I plug
into the new network, I can only ping the firewall (10.3.1.1), myself
(10.3.1.x), and the external IP address the Pix has mapped to itself
(64.x.x.x).

So I was wondering if there's anything in Solaris I'm missing.  I think
it's the Pix config myself, but I want to try to rule any possibility
out on my end if I can.

Ideas and suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

Chris
----

"You know what I'm gonna do?  I'm gonna take my foolish pride, get it on a
southbound freight and let it _ride_."
                                        The incomparable Tom Jones

1. Covering my bases... (aka Second opinion)

[...]

2. Finding keyed access routines.

3. Looking for home based Linux LKM and socket based application project

4. Q: Driver for Adaptec APA-358 Parallel to SCSI-Bridge

5. Cisco Announces Industry's First Network-Based, Standards- Based Rapid Channel-Change.....

6. Curses and Term

7. 10 base T vs pre 10 base T

8. Tekram DC690 and 3rd HDD

9. Name-based vs IP based virtual hosts

10. Survey - GUI based admin. vs. text based admin

11. NCR810 based controller on UltraAXI based Sun ...

12. Connecting 10-base-2 and 10-base-T to linux box

13. Floppy Based or IDE Based Tape drives & 5.0.5 (or 5.0.4)