Huge Core files

Post by Sadi » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:44:20

Hi Folks,

I have Solaris 7 installed on SUN Ultra Sparc 450 with 512 MB RAM, my
machine is rebooting automatically after 2/3 days. I noticed the
creation of core files in /var/crash/hostname/ directory with a huge
size, like unix.core etc. Could anyone suggest me how to rectify/trace
the problem and how can I to fix it. The machine is having 2 interface
cards installed and Raptor firewall is running. It has made me crazy
because /var filesystem gets full and I have to delete these file to
get things back to normal.

Thanks in advance

Sadiq Mohammed
Digital Era
Srinagar, Kashmir

Huge Core files

Post by Vitaly Filato » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:37:57

Hi, Sadiq!

For crash dump investigation try to use iscda.sh script.
You can find it within files of patch #112150-04:

-------------------------------
Patch-ID# 112150-04
Date: Nov/15/2001

Solaris Release: 2.5.1 2.6 7 8
..... skipped
Files included with this patch:
..... skipped
/opt/SUNWsymon/modules/sbin/iscda.sh
..... omitted
----------------------------------

Script has some help inside.

Vitaly Filatov, Moscow, Russia
http://members.tripod.com/Vitaly_Filatov

> Hi Folks,

> I have Solaris 7 installed on SUN Ultra Sparc 450 with 512 MB RAM, my
> machine is rebooting automatically after 2/3 days. I noticed the
> creation of core files in /var/crash/hostname/ directory with a huge
> size, like unix.core etc. Could anyone suggest me how to rectify/trace
> the problem and how can I to fix it. The machine is having 2 interface
> cards installed and Raptor firewall is running. It has made me crazy
> because /var filesystem gets full and I have to delete these file to
> get things back to normal.

> Thanks in advance

> Sadiq Mohammed
> Digital Era
> Srinagar, Kashmir

Huge Core files

Post by Sam » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:18:13

> > Hi Folks,

> > I have Solaris 7 installed on SUN Ultra Sparc 450 with 512 MB RAM, my
> > machine is rebooting automatically after 2/3 days. I noticed the
> > creation of core files in /var/crash/hostname/ directory with a huge
> > size, like unix.core etc. Could anyone suggest me how to rectify/trace
> > the problem and how can I to fix it. The machine is having 2 interface
> > cards installed and Raptor firewall is running. It has made me crazy
> > because /var filesystem gets full and I have to delete these file to
> > get things back to normal.

> > Thanks in advance

> > Sadiq Mohammed
> > Digital Era
> > Srinagar, Kashmir

Just make sure there are no Pakistanis around. Hehehe. Sorry couldn't resist
it. I hope the fighting has stopped in Kashmir.

What you are seeing is a kernel core dump. You have to use adb or crash on
it to see what the panic string is. Just look up man crash, and then type
stat. You can probably post the output and maybe someone can help out.

1. huge core file generated by xlyap (xscreensaver)

Hi

I have been observing huge core files generated by xlyap --- binary
installed by the Redhat 5.0 xscreensaver-2.16.  The core dumped are
huge, 49M!  I can generate the core easily by issuing the following
command

xlyap -root -random

Here is the output of gdb:

gdb xlyap core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-redhat-linux),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
Core was generated by `xlyap -root -random'.
find_solib: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error

#0  0x400a55ec in ?? () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6

I am not too familiar with this.  The XFree86 version I am using is the
latest Redhat  5.0 version XFree86-3.3.2.3.  Could the problem be
located in the XFree86-libs package?

For information my video card is a Millennium II 8Mb, the computer is
an Intel PPro 200MHz with 64M ram.

Many thanks.

Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada, K7L 3N3       Running Linux Redhat 5.0

2. Windows using Linux DNS

3. How to avoid creation of huge core files?

4. Setup IDE3 on Slackware 2.0

5. Q: Why Netscape quits leaving a huge file 'core'?

6. Best OS

7. /proc/kcore & /core what are those huge files for ?

8. RedHat CD's

9. Huge (I mean HUGE) log files vs. performance

10. When a core file is not a core file

11. decoding multiple base64&uu-encoded files from one huge file

12. how to split a very huge text file into small files

13. Get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" but no core file found