Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by toni.. » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:36:54

Hi all,

I am going to be getting some help in my current environment from
someone with no Unix background.  I think hes a mainframe guy, so I am
starting at ground zero.

Any suggestions on where to start?  I think we take a lot for granted,
and I have scared people off in the past (or maybe thats just me :) )
so I am hoping to avoid that this time...its a fairly simple
envinonment, about 15 Sun servers, V880s and a couple 450s running
Oracle and some in house software for a financial institution.  Most of
the things I do involved disk space management, putting out various
fires, adding new clients via. the in house software, monitoring with
Nagios and Orca....Backups with Com Vault and Storedge....Veritas
Volume Manager...

Off the top of my head I am thinking about:

Basics:
logging in
looking around (ls, pwd, who, df, ps, netstat, vmstat, prstat)
???

Troubleshooting:
/var/adm/messages
dmesg
app log files.
???

Any other things that will help get this guy off to a good start? I
don't want to scare him off without something actually "broke" I am not
sure where to start, other than logging in, poking around...then what?

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by Todd Blak » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:01:13

I think it's a very good idea to tie alot of this stuff in with what he
already knows.  Asking questions like "how do you...." in whatever OS he
knows, then give the corresponding way in unix.  I had to learn VMS
administration this way and although I was never as good as the native
VMS guy, having ways to tie me to my roots definitely helped.

www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/solSysadminGuide/solsysadmin.pdf

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by toni.. » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:37:00

Thats a good idea, relating what he already knows.  It even gives me an
idea, a lot of what he is already doing is on the mainframe side; our
Sun boxes get data from the mainframe so there is a good chance he will
recognize some of the files.

Thanks!

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by Will Hartun » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:45:37

Quote:> Hi all,

> I am going to be getting some help in my current environment from
> someone with no Unix background.  I think hes a mainframe guy, so I am
> starting at ground zero.

> Any suggestions on where to start?  I think we take a lot for granted,
> and I have scared people off in the past (or maybe thats just me :) )
> so I am hoping to avoid that this time...its a fairly simple
> envinonment, about 15 Sun servers, V880s and a couple 450s running
> Oracle and some in house software for a financial institution.  Most of
> the things I do involved disk space management, putting out various
> fires, adding new clients via. the in house software, monitoring with
> Nagios and Orca....Backups with Com Vault and Storedge....Veritas
> Volume Manager...

I'd do it at the task level. Don't train the system, barely touch on the
concepts, and simply concentrate on the tasks at hand.

That way he can do what he needs to do (the tasks), and then learn the
system as he works the task and sees how the system makes those tasks
happen.

So, basically, skip the theory, teach the practice and then watch as he
groks the theory from the practice.

Regards,

Will Hartung

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by toni.. » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:17:53

The task level thing is  a good idea, although most of the tasks
require root access.  I am a little nervous about giving somebody with
no Unix experience the keys to the kingdom right away...I guess it will
come down to trust.  Not that I  expect anything malicious, but you
know how easier it can be to fubar a system just by being in the wrong
directory, or rebooting the wrong system, etc...

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by G Dahle » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:08:24

Quote:> Not that I  expect anything malicious, but you
> know how easier it can be to fubar a system just by being in the wrong
> directory, or rebooting the wrong system, etc...

It can even happen to a veteran....

Post by Rob Shepher » Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:23:41

>>Not that I  expect anything malicious, but you
>>know how easier it can be to fubar a system just by being in the wrong
>>directory, or rebooting the wrong system, etc...

> It can even happen to a veteran....

If you have Solaris 10 on any of your systems you may give him a Zone to play
with. Then you do not need to worry about him/her playing with and maybe
breaking a production environment. :)

Rob
--
Rap it up for the common good
Let us enlist the neighbourhood

                   Tomtomclub, 1980.

Post by toni.. » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:01:53

> > Not that I  expect anything malicious, but you
> > know how easier it can be to fubar a system just by being in the
wrong
> > directory, or rebooting the wrong system, etc...

> It can even happen to a veteran....

Yep, don't ask me how I know this :D

Anyway, so far this has been going really well.  This guy I am training
is just eating up everything I can throw at him.  Sometimes when I try
to cross-platform train someone I get this dear in the headlights look,
granted most of those "trainees" have had Windows backgrounds and seem
to be overwhelmed by things like vi, and command line in general.
Coming from a mainframe background he seems to be right at home and
this morning he showed me some scripts he is already working on! Wow,
this is a first.  Granted its a simple login script (i,e, akin to Hello
World) but its nice to finally see someone taking interest.

Post by BallroomDance » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 05:15:46

<Anyway, so far this has been going really well.  This guy I am training
<is just eating up everything I can throw at him.  Sometimes when I try
<to cross-platform train someone I get this dear in the headlights look,
<granted most of those "trainees" have had Windows backgrounds and seem
<to be overwhelmed by things like vi, and command line in general.
<Coming from a mainframe background he seems to be right at home and
<this morning he showed me some scripts he is already working on! Wow,
<this is a first.  Granted its a simple login script (i,e, akin to Hello
<World) but its nice to finally see someone taking interest.

You may continue to be pleasantly surprised. Hard core mainframe programming
is still done from the "command line". A large part of mainframe operation
is still done in batch mode, meaning that a lot of scripting is done. All
this person needs is to acclimate himself with the difference in syntax, and
to know the different rules. vi is a lot easier to use than some of the
older mainframe editing systems.
Jim

Going to be training someone, suggestions for a non Unix person?

Post by toni.. » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:03:07

Well this just took a turn for the....weird.

What I thought was promising interest turned out to be something else.
I guess the flags should have gone up when he said "I noticed you do a
lot of typing, isnt there some sort of front end that can do that
automatically?"

Me: um. Well, I suppose if you want a gui you could either set up an
Xserver and push it out to your PC.

Him : well what I envision is a web site or java application that you
could just click on a server or something and have it do all that for
you

???

Apparently this guy  wants to build some sort of application to...well
I am not sure what he wants to do with it.
I tried to explain that sure maybe you could write something to do some
mundane task, like change a password or something (and reinvent the
wheel) but a lot of the things we do require a thought process and
reasoning.  I guess if anyone *could* write some sort of all
encompassing front end that would allow anyone off the street to
support these systems I would be out of a job, eh?  Besides, how can
you create something like that without even having the background and
experience to know *what* to build.

I am at a bit of a loss here...that light at the end of the tunnel is
looking more like an oncoming train.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:36:03

> Apparently this guy  wants to build some sort of application to...well
> I am not sure what he wants to do with it.
> I tried to explain that sure maybe you could write something to do some
> mundane task, like change a password or something (and reinvent the
> wheel) but a lot of the things we do require a thought process and
> reasoning.  I guess if anyone *could* write some sort of all
> encompassing front end that would allow anyone off the street to
> support these systems I would be out of a job, eh?  Besides, how can
> you create something like that without even having the background and
> experience to know *what* to build.

You might look at webmin, http://webmin.com.  If your apprentice knows
Perl he can add whatever modules he wants to it.

1. Help for non-Unix/AIX person

Hello,
To start with I do not know anything about AIX or Unix.  I need to create an
archive to tape of two directories so we can convert the contents(data
files) to a NT server.  Do I need to clear the tape and if so how, the tape
device is /dev/rmit1 ?  What is the command I should be using to do the tape
archive?  I think it is TAR but I am unsure about the arguments.  The
directory I am trying to archive is /home/cf2000 and /home/cf2000/photo.
Once I run the TAR command how do I list the contents of a tape device so I
can see what it contains?
Thanks in advance for the help

Ray

--
Ray Long
Management Data Systems, Inc.

www.mandatasys.com
Providing computer solutions for law enforcement and municipal government
since 1988

2. Looking for simple webmail app

3. Easy question from non-unix person

4. Word Perfect

5. UNIX ADMIN TRAINING - ANY SUGGESTIONS

6. sol2.5&CDE&setuid

7. How Can I know when I am logged on in a person logon on

8. ? Linux community manage vs. chaos ?

9. Am I the only person around with a 40 gig HD?

10. Am I the only person who's bridge freezes the entire system?

11. Simple Question from a Non-AIX person

12. Suggestions for a cheap Microcontroller to train embedded linux development?

13. Suggestions on Storage Education and Training