Adding linux NIS clients to Solaris NIS+ domain

Adding linux NIS clients to Solaris NIS+ domain

Post by Keen Youn » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone have experience adding linux NIS clients to a Solaris NIS+
server running in NIS compatability mode? I'd like to pitch the idea to
my boss in order to replace/supplement Xterminals with cheap linux
workstations. All my administration experience has been with NIS+. Is it
a configuration headace, security problem, or impossible?
Thanks ahead,
Keen Young

Adding linux NIS clients to Solaris NIS+ domain

Post by Ron Dille » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Keen,

If you turn on nis compat mode, you might as well switch from nis+ to
nis.  There is a nis+ client for linux floating around.

Why not use Solaris x86 (direct nis+ support <g>).

Ron

> Does anyone have experience adding linux NIS clients to a Solaris NIS+
> server running in NIS compatability mode? I'd like to pitch the idea to
> my boss in order to replace/supplement Xterminals with cheap linux
> workstations. All my administration experience has been with NIS+. Is it
> a configuration headace, security problem, or impossible?
> Thanks ahead,
> Keen Young

|   Ron Dilley          Sr. UNIX Network Administrator   |

Adding linux NIS clients to Solaris NIS+ domain

Post by Keen Youn » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ron,
  Well, honestly, I don't like the price tag on Solaris x86. If we use them
for NC replacements, I like the smaller linux footprint. If we decide to
serve Xterminals from the PC, then the server version of Solaris x86 is
really expensive. Honestly, if it were up to me, we'd buy another Sun Ultra 2
and continue adding NC's. However, the boss asked for options.
  I thought there wasn't a stable linux NIS+ client out there yet. If there
is, I'll go that way. Anybody know where I can get it?

Keen

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/NIS-HOTWO-8.html

--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.   __

      v   WWW: http://pobox.com/~gedau !  necessarily those of M.I.M.     W--W

1. Using Linux NIS client in Solaris NIS Domain

HI,

I have a few linux machines (3 intel, 1 sparc) that I have just
started to play around with and want to setup for general use in a
small department - separate from the main IT section.

However I want users to be able to mount their homeareas from the
domain on to the linux boxes and also to be able to use the same
userid and passwds that they are used to.

I have looked around and read the NIS howto etc, and I'm still a
little confused and getting nowhere fast. It seems that our NIS domain
is using security (passwd.adjunct format) and that when I setup the
linux box as a NIS client, ie setup ypbind at startup, and set the
domain in /etc/yp.conf, I can do a ypwhich -m and it will list that it
can see passwd.adjunct but when I try to login to the box it fails -
I'm assuming that is due to the failure to pick up the passwd.

As for the setting on /etc/auto.master to allow me to use the
auto.home NIS maps, I seem to have got even less done here. Still a
bit confused about what the man pages are ttelling me. I'm including a
line like

/home   yp,sun auto,home

Erm should this be in /etc/auto.master or should this be included in
another file that auto.master reads?

OK - but I'm not afraid to play around a bit more - no problem there -
I will but what I wanted to know was is it possible for me to get my
linux machines to particpipate as per normal solaris clients in the
NIS domain (ie someone out there has done it) or am I better off
turning one of my machines into a NIS slave, or even server, which in
some way gets the appropriate maps for passwd, passwd.adjunct,
auto.home from the solaris master and to use this as the machine that
the others bind to.

Yes, I dont really know what I'm talking about exactly, so sorry, any
and all help appreciated, and if anybody has some examples of working
setup it would be appreciated if you could give some pointers.

thanks,
ssd

2. Graphics display horizontal lines

3. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

4. Select() and threads

5. How to remove an NIS client from NIS domain

6. Apache error -- socket error: accept failed

7. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

8. asdf asdfasd

9. Using linux NIS clients with Solaris 2 NIS masters.

10. Solaris 8 Nis+ server and RH Linux 7.3 Nis+ client ---- Problems and Questions

11. Linux NIS Master Solaris i386 NIS client?

12. linux NIS client not binding to Solaris NIS+ server

13. Linux nis client with solaris nis server in C2 security mode