Solaris TCP/IP Question

Post by Ryan Matteso » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello folks, I saw a post recently that I cannot find regarding the overhead
in processing an IP packet. We presently have converted everything on
our LAN to ATM, and ordered 4 ATM Networking cards for our E10k. If
a stream of 622 MB/s or 150 MB/s was steady and hit the E10k, would
the E10k be able to sustain processing of 622 MB/s?? I am curious how
fast a data stream these ATM Cards can process and the overhead on the
kernel as  622 MB/s of IP packets are sent up and down the TCP/IP stack.

Thanks for any info,

Ryan

Solaris TCP/IP Question

Post by Chris Ventur » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Ryan, I think you might be confusing with the capabilities of the ATM vs.
the Workstations.

The data will fly across the net at that rate, but on the end of the
receiving workstation it's brought back down to a readable rate through the
ATM interfaces buffers.

Usually an ATM installation on a LAN will increase the amount of traffic a
network can sustain.  It doesn't necessarily increase the amount of work
your CPU has to do when receiving a packet.   Most of the packets are going
to be ignored by the ATM card since most packets aren't directed to that
machine.  So your CPU shouldn't see that much of an increase of processing.
Your only increase should be in spurts as the data comes into your
workstation.

I hope this helps.

CV-64

Quote:> Hello folks, I saw a post recently that I cannot find regarding the
overhead
> in processing an IP packet. We presently have converted everything on
> our LAN to ATM, and ordered 4 ATM Networking cards for our E10k. If
> a stream of 622 MB/s or 150 MB/s was steady and hit the E10k, would
> the E10k be able to sustain processing of 622 MB/s?? I am curious how
> fast a data stream these ATM Cards can process and the overhead on the
> kernel as  622 MB/s of IP packets are sent up and down the TCP/IP stack.

> Thanks for any info,

> Ryan

1. Solaris 2.5.1 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.6 TCP/IP

Hi,All.

I need an advice on the following:
I'm porting a tcp/ip client server application from Solaris2.5.1 to
Solaris2.6
On Solaris2.6 I'm getting different sockets behavior than on
Solaris2.5.1 , For example
accept function failed, or connection refused.

As there any change in the TCP/IP layer between those two operating
systems ?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciate
Eyal.

--
Eyal Haviv.
Product Manager.

2. Recommended Video Card for Pentium?

3. A question about TCP/IP on Solaris 2.6

4. tcp error warning

5. Further Newbie questions about strange TCP/IP behaviour on Solaris 8 (IA)

6. need help on imake and makedepend

7. Solaris 8 questions / Directories and TCP/IP

8. New user question: How do I enable screen blanking?

9. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

10. Sparc 5/Solaris 2.4 TCP/IP Problem with SL/IP connections

11. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP