NFS problem - rpcbind failure

Post by Sam McKe » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

When I attempt to mount a filesystem from an Ultra1 running Solaris 2.5.1
to another similar machine the mount command on the client produces errors
of the form:
        "RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out
        nfs mount: retrying: /mnt"

A "snoop" of network packets shows no response whatsoever to the request
being sent from the client.
The server is at init state 3, the nfsd and mountd daemons are running and
share claims that the filesystem in question is indeed shared.

The client is running the lockd and statd daemons.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Regards, Sam McKee

1. RPC: Rpcbind failure (NFS)

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my Solaris 9 Ultra 5 as an NFS server. I've put the
needful lines into /etc/dfs/dfstab and run the nfs.server init script.

When I come to check the shares running using dfshares (from localhost or
other other hosts) I get the following:

nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: unable to recieve.

Could someone shed any light on this? I've uncommented some RPC lines in
inetd.conf, and HUP'ed the inetd process to no avail.

Kind regards,
Gareth Crispin
Solution Support Engineer

2. Samba Server

3. rpcbind failure when mounting

4. What is a "normal" netstat output?

5. rpcbind failure & slow to lget ogin prompt

6. SLOW mail

7. automount rpcbind failures

8. "Apache + Form handl. script problems + Linux"

9. rpcbind failure

10. rpcbind n2a_mergeaddr failure?

11. RPCbind failure-Newbie question

12. NFS/rpcbind question