ntp and locale

Post by Stefano Cailott » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:18:36

Hello.
I'd like to set up ntp client on some solaris8 boxes.
Unfortunately, they were all set on different time zones with different
locales and in some cases with time relative to GMT skew.
So, my question is: how can I set the correct locales (Italy), the time
zone not as GMT skew in order for ntp clients to give all the same time?
Thanks for every suggestion.
Stefano Cailotto

ntp and locale

Post by Tony Walto » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:02:17

> Hello.
> I'd like to set up ntp client on some solaris8 boxes.
> Unfortunately, they were all set on different time zones with different
> locales and in some cases with time relative to GMT skew.
> So, my question is: how can I set the correct locales (Italy), the time
> zone not as GMT skew in order for ntp clients to give all the same time?
> Thanks for every suggestion.
> Stefano Cailotto

NTP is not interested in timezones.  It distributes UTC time which it
gets from the internal time within your kernel. The internal time - that
is, the time the kernel uses - should be set to GMT in all cases,
regardless of what your local timezone is. If this is not the case then
you're set up wrongly.  See SunSolve Infodoc 19164 for more information.

--
Tony

1. ntp client and locale problems

Hello.
I'd like to set up ntp clients on a number of solaris 8 boxes, but due
to the fact they were set on different time zones (with possibly
different locales), setting up ntp client results in different times on
different machines :-(
So, how can I set the correct locale (for Italy), the correct time zone
(if possible, not as a GMT skew...) and have the ntp client working?
Thanks to everyone will answer me!

2. How to emulate a vt100 keyboard?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Linux 1.0.9 not recognizing SB cdrom/sound card

5. ntp.conf ntp config file setup

6. XDM problem

7. Need NTP (ntp/xntp) for Solaris 2.x

8. Websphere Experiences?

9. NTP client not synchronised with NTP server

10. Problem with ntp on solaris (also posted on comp.protocols.time.ntp)

11. How to Configure Linux machine as NTP server and Solaris machine as NTP client

12. NTP: Where can I get binaries for NTP?

13. RogueWave Locale and GNU g++ Locale