Sparc 20 won't go past POST?

Post by Michael Wa » Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:38:31

I have a Sparc 20 that worked fine.
I put on shelf for some time, but now
after power on, it detected the CPU's and
printed out "Running Power On Self Test",
but it just stay there, no further output.

What could be the problem? Is that nvram?
I tried two nvram's - both could be out of battery.
But an "out of battery" nvram would still show
the ethernet as "ff.ff.ff.ff", wouldn't it?

Thanks.
--

Sparc 20 won't go past POST?

Post by aryzh » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:11:59

> I have a Sparc 20 that worked fine.
> I put on shelf for some time, but now
> after power on, it detected the CPU's and
> printed out "Running Power On Self Test",
> but it just stay there, no further output.

> What could be the problem? Is that nvram?
> I tried two nvram's - both could be out of battery.
> But an "out of battery" nvram would still show
> the ethernet as "ff.ff.ff.ff", wouldn't it?

I never saw sun4m machines run out of NVRAM battery, unlike sun4c.
How long was that "some time" on the shelf - months, years?
Is the fromt panel LED on?
Do you watch the POST over serial ttya or graphical port?
If you connect the video and (most importantly) Sun keyboard,
then some more information may be given by keyboard LEDs blinking patterns.
What is the CPU and memry config there (how many CPUs and SIMMs) -
may be  you can take out extra CPU and SIMMs and try to run POST
with minimal hardware.

Regards,
Andrei

Sparc 20 won't go past POST?

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:42:56

> I have a Sparc 20 that worked fine.
> I put on shelf for some time, but now
> after power on, it detected the CPU's and
> printed out "Running Power On Self Test",
> but it just stay there, no further output.

> What could be the problem? Is that nvram?
> I tried two nvram's - both could be out of battery.
> But an "out of battery" nvram would still show
> the ethernet as "ff.ff.ff.ff", wouldn't it?

> Thanks.

check out http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html/J?rgen

Sparc 20 won't go past POST?

Post by Michael Wa » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:06:56

>> I have a Sparc 20 that worked fine.
>> I put on shelf for some time, but now
>> after power on, it detected the CPU's and
>> printed out "Running Power On Self Test",
>> but it just stay there, no further output.

>> What could be the problem? Is that nvram?
>> I tried two nvram's - both could be out of battery.
>> But an "out of battery" nvram would still show
>> the ethernet as "ff.ff.ff.ff", wouldn't it?

>I never saw sun4m machines run out of NVRAM battery, unlike sun4c.

According to this web page, the nvram on sparc 20 does expire:

http://www.memoryx.net/5251369.html

Quote:>How long was that "some time" on the shelf - months, years?
>Is the fromt panel LED on?

Yes.

Quote:>Do you watch the POST over serial ttya or graphical port?
>If you connect the video and (most importantly) Sun keyboard,
>then some more information may be given by keyboard LEDs blinking patterns.
>What is the CPU and memry config there (how many CPUs and SIMMs) -
>may be  you can take out extra CPU and SIMMs and try to run POST
>with minimal hardware.

I did both serial ttya, and video and Sun keyboard.

When I used serial ttya, I could not pass "POST is running".

Then I connect the video and Sun keyboard, and pressed "Stop+D",
turn on the power, and released "Stop+D", I can see Caps Lock key
is on, and flashing, and after some time, it is off.

Then I connect via serial ttya again. This time, it could pass
the "POST is running", and stopped in diagnosing memory. I then
by trial and error, found a bad memory chip. Removing the memory
chip (it happens in the last slot of installation order), the
box is running fine.

So I think pressing "Stop+D" somehow turn the verbose mode which
allows me to see detailed diagnose info in POST.
--

Sparc 20 won't go past POST?

Post by Raf LaPiet » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:21:53

>So I think pressing "Stop+D" somehow turn the verbose mode which
>allows me to see detailed diagnose info in POST.
>--

Hitting stop+D turns on diagnostic mode, which then caught the bad memory.

-Raf

1. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

Take the video card out and see if that helps - I had a system recently that
would not do anything because of a bad video card.

Don Woodward
www.sunsunsun.net

2. Driving IEEE-1284 (ECP) parallel printers via bpp?

4. Installed 2.4 on a Sparc 20 and ifconfig won't work anymore???

5. Looking for procmail for SCO OS5

6. Sparc 20 floppy won't work under Sol 8

7. IP_MULTICAST_IF: address not bound to any interface

8. TCP/IP won't go past domain

9. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

10. Is there a MUNIX for sparc 10's&20's ??

11. 'top' for SPARC 20 612-MP