Patch 108528-24 hangs the machine

Post by Greg » Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:07:23

Hi. I frequently use Sun's patch clusters to update my Sun Ultra Enterprise
2 (running Solaris 8). I have had no problems with this procedure, until
yesterday. I downloaded the latest cluster, and it seems that the patch
108528-24 causes the machine to hang during its installation (no fatal hang,
I just have to hit Ctrl-C to abort).

I have also tried to install this patch alone, in single-user mode, with the
same results.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Greg

Post by F. Michael Or » Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:06:17

> Hi. I frequently use Sun's patch clusters to update my Sun Ultra Enterprise
> 2 (running Solaris 8). I have had no problems with this procedure, until
> yesterday. I downloaded the latest cluster, and it seems that the patch
> 108528-24 causes the machine to hang during its installation (no fatal hang,
> I just have to hit Ctrl-C to abort).

> I have also tried to install this patch alone, in single-user mode, with the
> same results.

> Any help would be appreciated
> Thanks
> Greg

We have several E250's, running that exact same patchlevel without
problem.  So it may not be the kernel level itself.

Patch 108528-24 hangs the machine

Post by Jens Goerk » Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:07:07

Quote:> Hi. I frequently use Sun's patch clusters to update my Sun Ultra Enterprise
> 2 (running Solaris 8). I have had no problems with this procedure, until
> yesterday. I downloaded the latest cluster, and it seems that the patch
> 108528-24 causes the machine to hang during its installation (no fatal hang,
> I just have to hit Ctrl-C to abort).

How long did you wait? 108528 is the Jumbo Kernal Patch for Solaris 8 and
takes several minutes to install.

Jens
--
Jens Goerke, IT Services GmbH, Unix Systems
Postadresse: Mobilcom, Hollerstr. 126, 24782 Buedelsdorf

Patch 108528-24 hangs the machine

Post by Greg » Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:01:36

Quote:> How long did you wait? 108528 is the Jumbo Kernal Patch for Solaris 8 and
> takes several minutes to install.

Hours. Over night.

Post by Mark R.Bannist » Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:40:19

> > How long did you wait? 108528 is the Jumbo Kernal Patch for Solaris 8 and
> > takes several minutes to install.

> Hours. Over night.

Well, if I were in your shoes, I would truss it to try and figure out
what it was doing.

Post by Robert Gruene » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:24:01

Quote:>> How long did you wait? 108528 is the Jumbo Kernal Patch for
>> Solaris 8 and takes several minutes to install.

> Hours. Over night.

How many files are in your /tmp ?
Or /var/tmp ?
If there are 1000nds of files the patch mechanism may last for days or
weeks, not just over night.

Post by Logan Sha » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:38:37

> How many files are in your /tmp ?
> Or /var/tmp ?
> If there are 1000nds of files the patch mechanism may last for days or
> weeks, not just over night.

I'm all for stability, but when is Sun going to fix the patch
mechanism so that it doesn't take so *y long?  Maybe they
need to replace it with fastpatch, or maybe something else.
I don't really care.  I just don't believe there's a reason
why it needs to be as slow as it currently is.

I can install an updated rpm on Linux in a fraction of a second.
Past experience with Linux leads me to believe it's probably cutting
corners somehow (maybe not checking for enough disk space, I think
using Berkeley DB files to store package information, etc.).
But still, is it too much to ask to have a patchadd that's only
ONE order of magnitude slower than that?

   - Logan

Patch 108528-24 hangs the machine

Post by Greg » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:26:26

Quote:> How many files are in your /tmp ?
> Or /var/tmp ?
> If there are 1000nds of files the patch mechanism may last for days or
> weeks, not just over night.

There are just a few files. I have noticed also that in the latest patch
cluster the patch ID has  changed to 108528-25. But there seems to be no
other change (I am having the same problem). Here are the last lines logged
in /var/sadm/install_data/Solaris_8_Recommended_log (if this can be of any
help):
Quote:> Checking installed patches...