Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by Keith K » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00



Hi:
  Can some kind souls teach me how I can boot OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86 from
the same machine?

Thanks,
Keith

 
 
 

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by James 'Ghostman' Schrecengo » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00


Quote:>Hi:
>  Can some kind souls teach me how I can boot OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86 from
>the same machine?

Two Words:  Boot Manager.

I boot DOS (occasionally, for Tie Fighter :), OS/2 and Linux from it.

To set it up, you will need to run OS/2's FDSIK, In there there is an option
to create a boot manager.. Expect to do some repartitioning, soo BACK UP YOUR
DATA! Boot manager takes a 1MB partition, but you have to have free space!

Then, once you have a boot manager, add each partition you want to boot
seperately to the Boot manager (again an option in fdisk).  Here you can do
all sorts of nifty things like setting a default partition w/ a timeout or
defaulting to the last partition you booted.

Just for reference, here a description of my partition table:

1GB Drive

Part. size    Contents      File Sys   Bootable      OS

1 MB          Boot Manager    ???       Yes, Starts  N/A
15 MB         C: primary      FAT       Yes          DOS
250 MB        C: primary      HPFS      Yes          OS/2
250 MB        D:              FAT       no           N/A
450 MB        Linux           Linux     Yes          Linux
16 MB         Linux Swap      Linux     no           N/A
16 MB         Linux Swap      Linux     no           N/A

As you can see, I boot either Dos or OS/2 and see the same D: data drive,
Whereas Linux is its own environment, on the same box, but completely seperate!

WAY COOLER THAN NT'S (Nice Try, * Thing, etc.) Boot thing..

Catch Ya Later!!

Ghostman               | That's what being a super-hero is all   |

Yes, I use PGP         | the rules and breakin' 'em.  -The Tick  |

 
 
 

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by Mike Richar » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00


If OS2 and x86 are on the same drive, OS/2 bm will not boot Sol x86.  1) Set
DOS active, 2) install Sol x86, 3) x86 bm will come up 1st, sel the OS/2 bm
partition....OS/2 bm will start and let you select DOS or OS/2

Mike

 
 
 

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by keef.. » Sun, 07 May 1995 04:00:00


Quote:>  Can some kind souls teach me how I can boot OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86 from
>the same machine?

I set my machine to do that. I used a second hard drive and installed
Solaris on the beginning 170M. On my first drive I had OS/2 installed
(with boot manager). After installing I simply added the Solaris to
the boot manager menu.  I later added OS/2 Connect to the remainder
of the  second hard drive and also have that on the boot manager
menu.

Since then (ie everything working...) I went back to re-install x86
and have been unsuccessful. I removed the original parition and x86
gets to the "Auto Layout or Manual Layout". I select the 2nd hard
drive, it sees the 170 free space but is unable to complete the fdisk
on it to continue the install.  I'm to the point where I may try relocating
my adjoining os2 connect partition.

point is> get it right the first time i guess...

craig

 
 
 

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by co.. » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00



>>  Can some kind souls teach me how I can boot OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86 from
>>the same machine?

>I set my machine to do that. I used a second hard drive and installed
>Solaris on the beginning 170M. On my first drive I had OS/2 installed
>(with boot manager). After installing I simply added the Solaris to
>the boot manager menu.  I later added OS/2 Connect to the remainder
>of the  second hard drive and also have that on the boot manager
>menu.

>Since then (ie everything working...) I went back to re-install x86
>and have been unsuccessful. I removed the original parition and x86
>gets to the "Auto Layout or Manual Layout". I select the 2nd hard
>drive, it sees the 170 free space but is unable to complete the fdisk
>on it to continue the install.  I'm to the point where I may try relocating
>my adjoining os2 connect partition.

>point is> get it right the first time i guess...

OS2 boot manager should work fine. If you need some more sofistication then
there is third party boot manager called "System Commander" from V-communication
which will let you have 40 operating system on one machine. I am running DOS, OS2,
LINUX, FREE BSD, NT on one machine and one HDD. You can put OS2, LINUX on cecond or
third drive also but not SCO or UNIXWARE. If you need address for V-communication e-mail me.

Sam Munzani

 
 
 

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by Throw down your leavy scree » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00



>which will let you have 40 operating system on one machine. I am running DOS, OS2,
>LINUX, FREE BSD, NT on one machine and one HDD.

(Sounding like Martin Lawrence) DAMN!  How big is your hard drive?  Several gig?
--

Unofficial Linux installation expert (after having installed half a dozen
                                      times in two weeks :(  !!!)

 
 
 

Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

Post by Armand Chin Kwie J » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00


Hello Keith,
"
  Can some kind souls teach me how I can boot OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86 from
the same machine?
"
All I read was that they can not exist on the same physical disk.
With Linux i know you must leave all partitioning to OS/2's fdisk.
Just leave some free space and during the Unix install grep it.
Good luck, Armand.

--
Hi (:-), the system named me Armand Chin Kwie Joe. See Ya

 
 
 

1. Solaris 2.4 x86 Boot Driver Update 7 installs and then fails to boot

   In have just received the driver update version 7 and I have been
attempting to install on a Intel 486 120 w 16MB ram using a BusLogic BT-445C
SCSI controller. The update provided the necesary BT-455C driver and the
install went without a hitch. However, when the system rebooted the boot
fails complaining that:


(Cannot load the root filesystem)

   I used all the default settings during the install and I installed the
full package, so it seems unlikely that I have misconfigured the install.
   One thing that bothers me about this message is that the

that the install used via Drive 0 (A:drive) and my CD drive. If the newly
installed boot path is still looking for the disk in drive 0 then its not
surprizing that it would be hard to find (because its not there). The

    Is there a boot flag that allows me to redirect the boot path? If so,
any suggestion where I should direct the boot? Also on my previous UNIX
installs the mounts were specified by /etc/fstab. I am not sure which file I
would need to edit in order to remedy this problem.

2. I am changing M/B and scsi controller from VLB to PCI

3. Installing Solaris 2.4 x86 on a disk with DOS and OS/2

4. compiling with gcc-2.8.0

5. Solaris 2.4 for X86 with OS/2 Warp?

6. HELP !!!! Tape Drive Installation

7. CD-ROM for Solaris 2.4 x86 / OS/2 installs

8. XConfig for EIZO T562-T & Trio64+

9. Q: SCSI CD-ROM Drive recommendation for Solaris 2.4 x86-OS/2 setup

10. Booting Solaris x86 via OS/2's Boot Manager

11. Dual booting Solaris 2.4 for x86

12. NEED x86 SOLARIS 2.4 BOOT DISKS>>>

13. Solaris 2.4/x86 and booting problem