Is there an app that can window into a dos box on a network?

Is there an app that can window into a dos box on a network?

Post by Werner Arting » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking for an application that can control and view a dos program running
on a dos box on a network from a sun station.  Does such a thing exist?  TIA.

Post by Dave Mille » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I'm looking for an application that can control and view a dos program running
> on a dos box on a network from a sun station.  Does such a thing exist?  TIA.

I believe there's something called SoftPC which may be what you want. I
know that this is available for HPs but don't know whether a Sun/Solaris
version exists.

--

D.M.Miller, Computer Services Group
Dynamics Division

Is there an app that can window into a dos box on a network?

Post by Benjamin Kowarsc » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Yes and no! You might want to have a look at WABI from SUN

Scenario:

Intel PC running Solaris x86 and WABI,
Windows application running on top of WABI,
Window thrown through X/OpenWindows to any SPARC, HP, Indy, DEC, IBM,
X-terminal, PC running any X server software or even Macintosh running MacX etc.

This is IMHO exactly how it should be.
No Windows on no PC nowhere and never.
If Windows Applications then distribute them from a server on the net
or run them locally inside WABI or whatever the API environment is called.

Well, other people might have a different viewpoint here, but I just happen
to not like Wintels very much because I'm working in system admin and
these Wintels give us tons of headache because you have to visit them one
by one if something is wrong, which happens to happen quite often...

WABI is available for SPARC as well. On Linux this same sort of thing is
called WINE. HP just launched something similar and with the Europeans
standardising their own Windows API it will soon be there on any Unix box.

There is however something called PC-Remote or so, but I understand this
works only from DOS to DOS over serial lines.

Have a look at WABI and trash Windows ;-)

regards
benjamin

              Smile! Tomorrow it might well be forbidden...

--------- non-exhaustive comparison chart for operating systems ---------
 MVS - Dictatorship | VMS - Monarchy | OpenVMS - constitutional Monarchy
 Unix - parlamentary Democracy | MacOS - Anarchy | DOS/Windows - Terror