Solaris2.5.1 & Windows NT 4 Integration?

Solaris2.5.1 & Windows NT 4 Integration?

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Unix Gurus!
> I'm trying to find a way of using Windows NT 4 applications on a Solaris 2.5.1
> workstation.

> What's the most cost effective way of doing this?
> do i have to buy NTrigue or Wincenter etc.

I'd bet the most cost effective way of doing this would be to
avoid NT altogether!

Quote:> I would be quite happy by being able to display "excel" etc. on  my
> workstation.

If all you need is display capabilities, you could check out
Sun's PC file viewer.  Alternatively, you could get StarOffice
(free for home users), and use that on your Solaris box natively.
StarOffice can read & write M$ file formats.

Quote:> Temporarily setup The UNIX machine as a dumb terminal for Windows NT.

The irony of that is saddening...

--
Rich Teer

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Risc Key Developments Ltd
Voice: +44 (0)1256 330612
WWW: www.rkdltd.demon.co.uk

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|I'm trying to find a way of using Windows NT 4 applications on a Solaris 2.5.1
|workstation.
|
|What's the most cost effective way of doing this?

Something like StarOffice or Applix may help if you have to deal with
documents in Microsoft formats, though.

|do i have to buy NTrigue or Wincenter etc.

You can use freeware called VNC to remote the display of a Microsoft
Windows NT computer to a Unix computer.  However, this does not allow
true multiuser usage like NTrigue or Wincenter.  Two users who use
VNC on the same Microsoft Windows NT computer will fight for the cursor.

1. Ultra 2 w/Solaris2.5.1 & X Windows

We recently set up two Sun Ultra 2's running Solaris 2.5.1.  We also
loaded X11R5 and Motif1.2.4.  We also have two Ultra 1's and a bunch of
Sparc 20's running Solaris 2.5 and X11R5/Motif1.2.4.  The Ultra 1's and
Sparc 20's work fine.  The Ultra 2, however, gets the following error
when trying to use X with Motif:

unable to get frame buffer attributes:  inappropriate ioctl for device

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

All of these machines are set up exactly the same.  Does anyone know why
X won't run on the Ultra 2's?

Thanks.

Pam Smith

2. Help with X and Rendition Verite V1000 chip

3. NT integration - rdist client for Windows NT?

4. GPL/LGPL for my Java app (linux compatible)

5. Solaris2.6 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.5.1.

6. Apache doing some weirdness .. please help!

7. Losing space from Solaris2.4 to Solaris2.5.1?

8. Apache 1.2.0 Virtual Hosts -- log file permissions wrong under Linux and Solaris

9. Does anyone have ssh binaries for Solaris2.5.1 or Solaris2.6?

10. DNS search between Solaris2.5.1 and Solaris2.6

11. Solaris2.3 - Solaris2.5.1 captive accounts

12. Apache1.1.1 & Solaris2.5.1 HELP

13. Win95 & Solaris2.5.1(Sparc) Networking ????