Making an image of bootdisk

Post by Sergio DA SILV » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hi  all,

> I am trying to make an image of the boot disk with the root filesysem
> on it.
> My idea is to make a quick recovery if the boot disk crashes. The
> target disk
> is identical to the boot disk.

> I tried 'dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t4d0s0 bs=64k'

> This gives a 'bad magic number' if I trie to use the disk. Is there a
> way around this?

> TIA,

> Nico

Hi.

Try an installboot on your target disk...

Regards...

--
Sergio DA SILVA

Making an image of bootdisk

Post by zhai.. » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi  all,

> > I am trying to make an image of the boot disk with the root
filesysem
> > on it.
> > My idea is to make a quick recovery if the boot disk crashes. The
> > target disk
> > is identical to the boot disk.

> > I tried 'dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t4d0s0 bs=64k'

> > This gives a 'bad magic number' if I trie to use the disk. Is there
> > way around this?

> > TIA,

> > Nico

> Hi.

> Try an installboot on your target disk...

> Regards...

> --
> Sergio DA SILVA

I have tried the same with another file system (not root) and it gave
the same error. Perhaps there is some reason other than installboot.
Does anybody know what ?
Zulfiqar Haider
System Administrator
Paknet Limited

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Making an image of bootdisk

Post by Sergio DA SILV » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I have tried the same with another file system (not root) and it gave
> the same error. Perhaps there is some reason other than installboot.
> Does anybody know what ?

And prtvtoc on the 2 devices gives you the exactly the same information ?
You can try to use fmthard also...

--
Sergio DA SILVA

Making an image of bootdisk

Post by Sergio DA SILV » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I have tried the same with another file system (not root) and it gave
> the same error. Perhaps there is some reason other than installboot.
> Does anybody know what ?

ERR...
Suddenly I remember somethnig...

In fact you have to avoid the first block when you do your coyp (by dd
with default block size if i remember well)  because you mustn't ecrase
the device information, unless the target device is exactly the same
physical device, partitionned same...
If you have done so, you can reset your target device with a format,
re-partionning it (with sufficient place for your copy) and re-do the
copy, avoiding the fisrt block of your source device...

Regards.

Sergio DA SILVA              RENAULT AUTOMOBILE SA
                           Technocentre Guyancourt
Tel: (+33.1.34.9)5 71 87          Centre de Calcul

Making an image of bootdisk

Post by Steve Ka » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Why not just mirror the root disk with ODS?

  Hi  all,
  I am trying to make an image of the boot disk with the root filesysem on it.
  My idea is to make a quick recovery if the boot disk crashes. The target disk
  is identical to the boot disk.

  I tried 'dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t4d0s0 bs=64k'

  This gives a 'bad magic number' if I trie to use the disk. Is there a way around this?

  TIA,

  Nico

--
Nico van Vliet
Mechanics of Forming Group, University of Twente

Making an image of bootdisk

Post by confewsh » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Go here :)

http://soldc.sun.com/support/drivers/copytodisk.html

  Why not just mirror the root disk with ODS?

    Hi  all,
    I am trying to make an image of the boot disk with the root filesysem on it.
    My idea is to make a quick recovery if the boot disk crashes. The target disk
    is identical to the boot disk.

    I tried 'dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/c2t4d0s0 bs=64k'

    This gives a 'bad magic number' if I trie to use the disk. Is there a way around this?

    TIA,

    Nico

--
Nico van Vliet
Mechanics of Forming Group, University of Twente
Postbus 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Tel: 31 53 489 2483 Fax: 31 53 489 4789

Making an image of bootdisk

Post by Nico van Vlie » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:19:26

L.S.

Sergio's remark about using installboot is probably the answer.

After doing an installboot and then an dd from root to target disk,
the target is ok, and I can mount it.

I have not yet been able to test if I can boot from it.
It may be a few weeks before I can shutdown the server.

Kind Regards,
Nico

--
Nico van Vliet
Mechanics of Forming Group, University of Twente
Postbus 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Tel: 31 53 489 2483 Fax: 31 53 489 4789

1. Slackware 3.0 bootdisk image

in trying to get the slackware 3.0 distribution, I  ??
noticed that the 'bare' bootdisk image (and for  I  ??
that matter all the images) is only 600k.  Is that  ??
right?  Is that the disk image?  It used to be hat  ??
that the images were gzipped and when unzipped hat  ??
were 1.4M, like the roootdisk images.  I've done t  ??
this a million times before (with earlier version   ??
of slackware), but I've never seen a bootdisk ion   ??
images of only 600k.'ve never seen a bootdisk ion   ??

---ges of only 600k.'ve never seen a bootdisk ion   ??
Zach VerGownly 600k.'ve never seen a bootdisk ion   ??

Texas Instruments0k.'ve never seen a bootdisk ion   ??

2. INN and NNTP

3. Transfering Bootdisk Image to be used with loadlin

4. Help! wrt: Personal IRIS WkStn.

5. LS-120 bootdisk image

6. Complex text substitution problem?

7. Where can I find a bootdisk image?

8. PLIP and slirp- how?

9. Help! Slackware bootdisk image freezes my PC!

10. Need bootdisk image for NEC 4X IDE CDROM

11. Bootdisk image for Hitachi CDR-8130?

12. Transfering Bootdisk Image to be used with loadlin

13. IBM Thinkpad 350 Linux bootdisk image?