metastat result - need maintenance

metastat result - need maintenance

Post by abdoe » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:00:53



Hello,
I newbie for metastat and need help.
I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:

d60: Submirror of d6
    State: Needs maintenance
    Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    Size: 247619079 blocks
    Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
        Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
        c0t0d0s7                   0     No    Okay
        c0t1d0s7                2889     No    Okay
        c0t2d0s7                2889     No    Maintenance
        c2t0d0s7                2889     No    Okay

d71: Submirror of d7
    State: Needs maintenance
    Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
    Size: 189607959 blocks
    Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
        Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
        c2t1d0s6                   0     No    Okay
        c2t1d0s5                2889     No    Okay
        c2t1d0s7                   0     No    Okay
        c3t0d0s5                2889     No    Maintenance
        c3t0d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
        c3t0d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance
        c3t1d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
        c3t1d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance

what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from metastat result ?

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Rgds
abdoell

 
 
 

metastat result - need maintenance

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:36:58


[abdoell]:

Quote:

>   I newbie for metastat and need help.  I run metastat on solaris 8
>   and the resulted as below:

>   d60: Submirror of d6
>       State: Needs maintenance
>       Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>

disk c0t2d0s7 has failed physically, see the logs for details.  you
may also want to use format(1m) (submenu analyze, command read) to
verify that there is a physical fault, but in a business critical
server I'd replace the disk as soon as possible, and examine the
failed disk afterwards.

so, you need to get a new disk and replace it.  then you need to
partition the new disk so that the slices are at least as large as
slice it will be a mirror of.

if you give the new disk the same SCSI id as the failed disk, you
should run metareplace -e c0t2d0s7, if it's a different id, use the
command shown by metastat.

Quote:>   d71: Submirror of d7
>       State: Needs maintenance
>       Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>

same here.

--
Kjetil T.                       |  read and make up your own mind
                                |  http://www.cactus48.com/truth.html

 
 
 

metastat result - need maintenance

Post by Remc » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 14:35:31


The status itself mention it already:

Quote:>     Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>

so invoke metareplace -e d6 c0t2d0s7 and press enter....

Hth


Quote:> Hello,
> I newbie for metastat and need help.
> I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:

> d60: Submirror of d6
>     State: Needs maintenance
>     Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
>     Size: 247619079 blocks
>     Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
>         Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
>         c0t0d0s7                   0     No    Okay
>         c0t1d0s7                2889     No    Okay
>         c0t2d0s7                2889     No    Maintenance
>         c2t0d0s7                2889     No    Okay

> d71: Submirror of d7
>     State: Needs maintenance
>     Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
>     Size: 189607959 blocks
>     Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
>         Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
>         c2t1d0s6                   0     No    Okay
>         c2t1d0s5                2889     No    Okay
>         c2t1d0s7                   0     No    Okay
>         c3t0d0s5                2889     No    Maintenance
>         c3t0d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
>         c3t0d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance
>         c3t1d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
>         c3t1d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance

> what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from metastat
result ?

> any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> Rgds
> abdoell

 
 
 

metastat result - need maintenance

Post by abdoe » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:44:06


instead replacing disk i have ran metareplace -e .....
and great it workfine, the disk state becoming OKAY, thank's so much.
But, there is also need maintenance and state saying
--> invoke metasync <--

do i need to run metasync ? as far as I undestand, metasync will
launch when booting.

As I successed run metareplace to change state become OKAY, what
actually the problem on this disk. it is not a physical disk problem
because after ran metareplace, disk is OKAY and also I never put new
harddisk or replace any harddisk before this problem occure?, I really
don't understand.
Can you give me any clue for any possibility of this problem, please

Rgds


> The status itself mention it already:

> >     Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>

> so invoke metareplace -e d6 c0t2d0s7 and press enter....

> Hth



> > Hello,
> > I newbie for metastat and need help.
> > I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:

> > d60: Submirror of d6
> >     State: Needs maintenance
> >     Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
> >     Size: 247619079 blocks
> >     Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
> >         Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
> >         c0t0d0s7                   0     No    Okay
> >         c0t1d0s7                2889     No    Okay
> >         c0t2d0s7                2889     No    Maintenance
> >         c2t0d0s7                2889     No    Okay

> > d71: Submirror of d7
> >     State: Needs maintenance
> >     Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
> >     Size: 189607959 blocks
> >     Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
> >         Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
> >         c2t1d0s6                   0     No    Okay
> >         c2t1d0s5                2889     No    Okay
> >         c2t1d0s7                   0     No    Okay
> >         c3t0d0s5                2889     No    Maintenance
> >         c3t0d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
> >         c3t0d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance
> >         c3t1d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
> >         c3t1d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance

> > what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from metastat
>  result ?

> > any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> > Rgds
> > abdoell

 
 
 

metastat result - need maintenance

Post by Remc » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:27:54


Yes, I think you are right about that but you can run it manually.
(so a reboot isn't required)

please check your messages file on errors regarding the metadevices...
When a disk give some retry errors (than it might switch-off the submirror)
(and SDS patches are very critical for this product)

But when a disk hangs a bit.. then it can produce some problems.. See i.e.
also sunsolve.sun.com
and it will degrade the mirror. check the original problem first and try to
fix the problem...
By analysing the disk (via format command) and or replace the disk..

Then put back the original partition table and try to metareplace all the
slices (don't forget the statedb's)
Hope this halps a bit...


> instead replacing disk i have ran metareplace -e .....
> and great it workfine, the disk state becoming OKAY, thank's so much.
> But, there is also need maintenance and state saying
> --> invoke metasync <--

> do i need to run metasync ? as far as I undestand, metasync will
> launch when booting.

> As I successed run metareplace to change state become OKAY, what
> actually the problem on this disk. it is not a physical disk problem
> because after ran metareplace, disk is OKAY and also I never put new
> harddisk or replace any harddisk before this problem occure?, I really
> don't understand.
> Can you give me any clue for any possibility of this problem, please

> Rgds




- Show quoted text -

> > The status itself mention it already:

> > >     Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>

> > so invoke metareplace -e d6 c0t2d0s7 and press enter....

> > Hth



> > > Hello,
> > > I newbie for metastat and need help.
> > > I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:

> > > d60: Submirror of d6
> > >     State: Needs maintenance
> > >     Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
> > >     Size: 247619079 blocks
> > >     Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
> > >         Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
> > >         c0t0d0s7                   0     No    Okay
> > >         c0t1d0s7                2889     No    Okay
> > >         c0t2d0s7                2889     No    Maintenance
> > >         c2t0d0s7                2889     No    Okay

> > > d71: Submirror of d7
> > >     State: Needs maintenance
> > >     Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
> > >     Size: 189607959 blocks
> > >     Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
> > >         Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
> > >         c2t1d0s6                   0     No    Okay
> > >         c2t1d0s5                2889     No    Okay
> > >         c2t1d0s7                   0     No    Okay
> > >         c3t0d0s5                2889     No    Maintenance
> > >         c3t0d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
> > >         c3t0d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance
> > >         c3t1d0s6                   0     No    Maintenance
> > >         c3t1d0s7                   0     No    Maintenance

> > > what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from
metastat
> >  result ?

> > > any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> > > Rgds
> > > abdoell

 
 
 

1. metastat display needs maintenance

hi all,
just to the point, I've got a warning like this : (when I run metastat)

d5: RAID
    State: Needs Maintenance
    Invoke: metareplace d5 c4t1d0s7 <new device>
    Interlace: 32 blocks
    Size: 7415415 blocks
Original device:
    Size: 1711872 blocks
        Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
        c0t1d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c2t0d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c2t1d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c3t0d0s7                 330     No    Okay
Concatenated Devices:
    Size: 5706240 blocks
        Device              Start Block  Dbase State        Hot Spare
        c0t2d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c3t1d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c2t2d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c2t3d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c3t2d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c3t3d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c4t0d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c4t1d0s7                 330     No    Maintenance
        c4t2d0s7                 330     No    Okay
        c4t3d0s7                 330     No    Okay

any body can give me explanation ? is harmfull or not

2. NIS / Shadow : how do they like eachother ?

3. Newbie to DiskSuite 4.0 needs help with output of metastat command

4. "dd" using SunOS/5.5

5. Solstice "needs Maintenance" state! need help!

6. Yaboot can boot PB1999 now thanks to ATI?

7. Solstice "needs maintenance" message! Need help!

8. Shutdown?????????

9. Linux install/maintenance needed in Los Angeles

10. file of active PIDs, need technique for maintenance

11. need Maintenance Disk for RS6000/560/7013 AIX4.xxx

12. Need advice regarding patches and Maintenance Supplement...

13. Linux install/maintenance needed in Los Angeles...