Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

Post by Richard Yate » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

This is a re-post of a previous Q. that wasn't as clear as it might've been, so
here goes again:

When a Solaris system is shut down for maintenance via init (1|S|s), Sun's
documentation suggests that scripts in /etc/rc?.d run, so processes such
as Ingres can be taken down gracefully. THIS DOES NOT SEEM TO HAPPEN. Instead,
shutdown does a killall (kill -15 followed by kill -9 of active processes not
directly related to the shutdown process). This may have repercussions for
Ingres installations.

Does anyone know of a simple means of making sure that Ingres and other
processes are stopped gracefully via /etc/rc?.d scripts rather than shot when
init is used to stop a system, instead of having to shutdown Ingres
before the init?

Richard.
~~~~~~~~

Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

Post by NeilHamm » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi.

>Does anyone know of a simple means of making sure that Ingres and other
>processes are stopped gracefully via /etc/rc?.d scripts rather than shot
when
>init is used to stop a system, instead of having to shutdown Ingres
>before the init?

   I haven't worked with Solaris, but under HP-UX I wound up renaming
shutdown shutdown.exe and writing a script that shuts ingres down and then
calls shutdown.exe.
   Remember, Ingres doesn't always shut down when you run iishutdown, and
then may have problems starting up again after being forcibly killed. (And
it doesn't return an error code when it fails to shut down.) I test for
the existance of Ingres processes and create a file,
/database/safe.to.start, if it shutdown properly and the rc scripts check
for that file before starting Ingres again.

   Fortunately, OpenIngres includes a forced shutdown option among its
other improvements.

Neil Hammar

"There's something to be said for walking miles in a circle." - David Hale

1. 2.4.5ac16 SMP kernel panic trying to kill init

Kernel 2.4.5ac16 is running on several UP machines here, but the first
SMP machine I compiled it for fails early in boot.  I cleaned out the
source tree and recompiled, in case I'd botched the first try, but got
the same result.  Procedure for compilation was to patch, copy .config
from the running 2.4.5ac14 tree, make oldconfig, make dep, make clean,
make bzImage, make modules.  As that machine is relatively heavily used, I
couldn't take the time to write down the panic details, but the kernel
panicked "trying to kill init."  I realize this is not much to go on;
later, when I can take the machine down for a while, I'll reproduce the
panic and report in more detail.  Any suggestions for maximizing
diagnostic value of that report will be welcome.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |

-

2. Help for ADA under os Linux

3. INIT error when shutting down

4. long pause bringing up eth0

5. Shutting down X Font Server: kill: (2294) - No such pid

6. How do I set up an alias of rm="rm -i" as the root user?

7. MkLinux DR 3 ?

8. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

9. Solaris 2 Init 1 & Ingres 6.4 shutdown

10. Problem with powering down when shutting down

11. Shutting X gracefully

12. init 6 on Solaris 2.4 x86 prefcs4_a bombs