Is there a windows client to retrieve Solaris mail?

Is there a windows client to retrieve Solaris mail?

Post by i0.. » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Not POP3 or IMAP.
I just want to read the mail in /var/mail.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Tony Earnsha » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Not POP3 or IMAP.
> I just want to read the mail in /var/mail.

How about telnetting to the mailserver from the Windows client and using
the normal Unix mail client (e.g. 'mail')? Perhaps the Sysadmin has been
extra kind and installed Pine or Elm for you.

Tony

--

Landis ICT Services, Unix Group

Tony Earnshaw

tel.: +31 30 248 9198
fax: +31 30 241 22 42
http://www.landis.com
http://online.landis.com

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>> Not POP3 or IMAP.
>> I just want to read the mail in /var/mail.

>How about telnetting to the mailserver from the Windows client and using
>the normal Unix mail client (e.g. 'mail')?

Oh, be reasonable and at least suggest "mailx" :-)

Quote:>Perhaps the Sysadmin has been
>extra kind and installed Pine or Elm for you.

one can only hope :->

The word of the day is mispergitude

Is there a windows client to retrieve Solaris mail?

Post by i0.. » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:00:56

Hi,
   I can't use telnet, what I know is outlook or something like that.

n article <sl

> >> Not POP3 or IMAP.
> >> I just want to read the mail in /var/mail.

> >How about telnetting to the mailserver from the Windows client and
using
> >the normal Unix mail client (e.g. 'mail')?

> Oh, be reasonable and at least suggest "mailx" :-)

> >Perhaps the Sysadmin has been
> >extra kind and installed Pine or Elm for you.

> one can only hope :->

> --
> [Trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
> [ Do NOT email-CC me on posts. Pick one or the other.]

> The word of the day is mispergitude

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Is there a windows client to retrieve Solaris mail?

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

If you want to use "Outlook or something like that", POP3 or IMAP are
the easiest & best answers.  Rejecting them as solutions will cause you
to spend much time reinventing them.

|   I can't use telnet, what I know is outlook or something like that.

Is there a windows client to retrieve Solaris mail?

Post by Kenny McCorma » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If you want to use "Outlook or something like that", POP3 or IMAP are
>the easiest & best answers.  Rejecting them as solutions will cause you
>to spend much time reinventing them.

OTOH, re-inventing wheels is always good practice, assuming one has the
time, inclination, and skills to do it.  It is a great learning experience.

And, hey, maybe we've got a junior Bill Joy in training here.  He may come
up with the next great standard in mail-retrieval protocols.

1. C++/Solaris: retrieving args from an execv() call - and I am an idiot with pointers

Hello to all -

#1: I would have rather used an AND with the choice of newsgroups. I
would like to talk to those who subscribe to comp.lang.c++ AND
comp.unix.solaris - but I'm stuck with OR. Please accept my sincerest
apologies for what I am about to do, I know it is, in the purest sense,
incorrect.

Having said that much, let me describe my problem. I am running two
processes on a Solaris server. Process 1 forks and calls process 2 using
execv(). All well and good. The problem comes in when I try and pull the
  passed args from the pointer array - I get nonsense where once there
was sense.

Now, I am full willing to admit I'm not sure what exactly I am doing
here. I believe my pointers have gotten fouled up, and I've been staring
at them for so long that they have ceased to mean anything. Please advise:

// Process 1

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <iostream.h>

void main()
{
     int forkA, proc_id00, sleep_err, kill_err;
     int time = 3;
     int kill_sig = 9;

     char *argv[3];

     argv[0] = "one";
     argv[1] = "two";
     argv[2] = NULL;

     forkA = fork ();

     if (forkA == 0)
     {
        int error = 0;
        int halftime = 5;
        error = execv ("testit2", argv);
        sleep_err = sleep(halftime);
        exit (101);
     }

     else
     {
        sleep_err = sleep(time);
        kill_err = kill (forkA, kill_sig);
        exit (100);
     }

// Process 2

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <iostream.h>

void main(int arg_count, char *arg_val)
{
     char **argv = &arg_val;
     int i = 0;

     cout << "Program 2: ";

     while (i < arg_count)
     {
        cout << argv[i++];
     }

     cout << endl;

     exit(103);

My output looks like this: Program 2: ??????(null)

2. Trying to get apache to work on alt port instead of 80 out of necessity

3. Retrieving mail with POP3 client

4. RedHat 5.1 Installation Issues

5. POP clients can't retrieve mail

6. Hey DrSquare...Don't eat the food!!!!

7. windows 98 client is slllooowwwww retrieving from linux server

8. UP2DATE - kernel failed - "test install of lilo failed"

9. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

10. Retrieving mail from a mail hosting server.

11. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

12. how to retrieve Linux mail from netscape mail?

13. [ FWD: Reading/posting on comp.unix.solaris (most popular Solaris forum) via mail client or browser ]