ARP/RARP timeout on reboot

Post by Art Vossber » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Every time I reboot my SS5 running 2.5.1 it hangs up on a ARP/RARP packet
timeout.
This message reiterates until I hit "Stop A" and enter "boot disk -r" at the
OK prompt.
Obviously, auto reboot is dysfunctional .
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Art Vossberg

AWOLart.com Ltd.
1100 Buckingham Way, Suite 3000
Yardley, PA 19067
Telephone:      215.295.8207
Fax:            215.295.8487

<http://awolart.com>

For secure transmissions of email, please use my pgp public key:

ARP/RARP timeout on reboot

Post by Doug Hugh » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Every time I reboot my SS5 running 2.5.1 it hangs up on a ARP/RARP packet
> timeout.
> This message reiterates until I hit "Stop A" and enter "boot disk -r" at the
> OK prompt.
> Obviously, auto reboot is dysfunctional .
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance.
> Art Vossberg

At the OK prompt type this:
set diag-switch? false

If that fails (it shouldn't):
set boot-device disk

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

ARP/RARP timeout on reboot

Post by Rick Powe » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Sounds like you need to use the eeprom (1M) command.
Your default boot-device is not "disk". To fix this you log in
as root and run the following command:

# /usr/sbin/eeprom boot-device=disk

The next time you reboot, your default boot-device should be
your disk, not your NIC.

If you mess up your eeprom settings, you can always get back
to manufacturer's defaults with STOP-N on boot. BTW, I would
caution you about this since you may have some site specific settings that
you would like to keep.

You should also take a look at places like http://docs.sun.com.
You can find others using search engines such as http://www.infoseek.com.

Fast Forward Technologies - Cable Atlantic Inc.

-- snipped out--

>Every time I reboot my SS5 running 2.5.1 it hangs up on a ARP/RARP packet
>timeout.
>This message reiterates until I hit "Stop A" and enter "boot disk -r" at
the
>OK prompt.
>Obviously, auto reboot is dysfunctional .
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks in advance.
>Art Vossberg

1. solaris net install -> "timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet"

Hi,

I am trying to get solaris to install over a network (just connected
by a hub, no routers etc).

On the machine with the cdrom I have tried several different
add_install_client permutations.

For example:

"./add_install_client -d -e [mac address of machine to install to]
sun4m"

which responds with:

"This system is only set up as a boot server for install clients.
Use -s to specify a path to an install server."

The two machines can see each other because snoop on the server
reveals:

"OLD-BROADCAST -> (broadcast)  RARP C Who is [mac address]?"

Also if I let the client boot (from an existing version of solaris on
the hdd) I can telnet back and forth between them.

On the install target I get the message:

"Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet"