Solaris 9 LDAP Directory Server 5.1 ... Anybody???

Solaris 9 LDAP Directory Server 5.1 ... Anybody???

Post by spoo » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:33:47

Hello All,
I didn't get much response from my last post regarding LDAP on Solaris
so I would like to try again from another angle...

Has anybody have any experience or comments on installing and
configuring Directory Server 5.1 on Solaris 9 yet?

Thanks in Advance!

Post by Mark Roun » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:56:12

> Has anybody have any experience or comments on installing and
> configuring Directory Server 5.1 on Solaris 9 yet?

I have had some experience of it - I use the "bundled" version with Solaris
9/Sparc as a "master", with an Intel Linux machine running DS5.1 as a
replica. We also have a Windows 2000 machine which runs the administration
console.

Installation is a snap - just answer a few questions and it's up and
running. It handles authentication here for around 200 users to various
internal web services - not a very heavy load at all, but it was just
convenient as I was looking at a central authentication system, and Solaris
9 got released with DS5.1 at around that time. It beats having
authentication data in 4 or 5 different formats on different servers - we
now use it for application authentication, .htaccess and the like. For
Apache, you'll have to use mod_auth_ldap - but the SunONE webserver
includes native support - you configure it to use the Directory Server as
an LDAP source, and that's it - all your usernames/groups etc. are
available when you're creating policies.

The only thing I have against it is that the administration GUI has a few
"quirks" - namely, it doesn't seem to sort usernames alphabetically
properly - which is quite annoying when administering groups. But the
command-line interface is straight forward. You'll also need to define an
ACL giving users permissions to change their passwords and/or details - but
the documentation is very easy to follow.

What in particular did you want to know ?

-Mark

Solaris 9 LDAP Directory Server 5.1 ... Anybody???

Post by spoo » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:06:55

Hello,
I just installed Ntescape DS 5.1 ok but I'm having trouble
initializing the ldapclient on another server. Can you help out with
the syntax?

According to:
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-4077/6jd6blbeq?q=ldap&a=view

I need to type the  following tio initiate the client:

sandbox# ldapclient init -a profileName=new -a domainName=domain.com
"IP address os Ldap server"

But it seems to  not like it, can you help out?

Thanks in advance...

-Cesar