using cron to automate tip - possible?

Post by Frank da Cr » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: Is there an issue in using a script to automate tip commands from cron?  I've
: got a shell script, a Perl script and an Expect script that uses tip to dial
: some remote machine and do some data collection.  When I run it interactivley
: everything goes OK, but when I run it from cron, absolutley nothing happens.
: I can my process it when I do a ps but eventually my scripts time out and
: quit. The modem never dials and the error log reports an error that is one
: that I do not generate myself (255).
:
Instead of using tip use C-Kermit, which is designed to
be automated and includes an easy-to-learn-and-use scripting language:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

Kermit scripts can be entirely self-contained -- no need for Perl or Expect --
and they are portable across hundreds of platforms, Unix and non-Unix alike,
on both serial and network connections.  Both the scripting and the
communications functions are built-in and intrinsic.

- Frank

1. Using cron to automate dump

I've got some scripts I've put together that totally automate the
backup of my SunOS 4 system.  I can run them at the command line
before I leave for the day (blah) or better, I can put them into the
crontab file...

My ideal backup scheme is as follows:

 - First day of each month / Level 0
 - Every sunday / Level 5
 - Every other day in month / Level 8

 - Occaisonal paranoia backup / level 9

I try to center the backup times at the most quiet times at night...
So the level 0 starts late evening, while the level 8 need not begin
until about 2 the next morning.

Right now, there is a different script for each backup level, because
the need for a more intense backup scheme came slowly.  But what
happens now is on Sunday the level 5 starts and finishes just fine,
then the level 8 writes over the same backup...

Is there a way to have cron EXclude certain days from a range?  Or
perhaps even better, is there a better script out there that can take
care of the above scheme?

If I can clear up any details that appear vague, please let me know...

Thanks!

Ed Paquette

2. please help removing file

3. Managing various log files using CRON (ie, automated...)

4. DOS as print server for OS/2 via Ethernet

5. Is it possible to execute a script with out using cron tab

6. WordPerfect

7. NEEDED: Tips for automating e-mail handling and replies

8. KDE

9. Difficulties running a Perl/tip job from cron

10. Tip from cron

11. Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

12. Automated FTP Transfers (cron)

13. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management