how to log all boot messages?

Post by wecz.. » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi all!
I want to be able to capture *all* data sent to the console
screen on boot up.

/var/adm/messages has part of this data, what is missing
is the output from the rc scripts run at boot time.
Is there a way to capture that output as well to a log file?
I searched and can't seem to find a way to do it.
Syslogd I looked at without success.

A work around for me would be a self-logging script.
That is a script that can capture its own standard out
and standard error? Has anyone written such a thing?
Not sure this can be done in a shell.

Thanks for any pointers,
Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

how to log all boot messages?

Post by Elzari » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Try redirecting output to spare directory file.  Ensure area of output is
mounted.. Hope this works..

how to log all boot messages?

Post by Gary Mil » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Try redirecting output to spare directory file.  Ensure area of output is
>mounted.. Hope this works..

Won't work.  During the early part of the boot, there are no writable
filesystems mounted.  There is nothing else to do but to log to the
console.  If you have a serial console, you can log everything on a
separate machine.  On a graphic console, it all disappears.  After the
boot, you can get kernel messages with `dmesg', but not the ones from
the rc scripts.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

how to log all boot messages?

Post by Volker Borche » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

|> Won't work.  During the early part of the boot, there are no writable
|> filesystems mounted.  There is nothing else to do but to log to the
|> console.  If you have a serial console, you can log everything on a
|> separate machine.

or to the serial printer on your terminal's AUX port.

--

1. Logging boot messages(and crash messages)

Hi..

Is there any way to get Solaris2.1 or 2.2 for that matter
to log the boot messages like SunOS 4.x.x?

Is there any way to get Solaris2.1 or 2.2 to display the
boot messages during the boot(ie the devices found etc)?

In 2.2 we at least get messages of the following form when the machine is
booted.

Jun  7 10:40:53 hostname unix: SunOS Release 5.2 Version Generic [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
Jun  7 10:40:53 hostname unix: Copyright (c) 1983-1993, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

In 2.1 we do not even get these.

We are also not getting any of the crash messages.... in the log file
either.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks.
--

Electrical and Computer Engineering     - uunet!uceng!rmontjoy

--  To Save the Earth. The Humans must die.

2. Find High-Speed Internet Access(ISDN, Fiber, T1...)

3. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

4. CAVEAT EMPTOR - Do not buy the Linux Universe.

5. boot log and /usr/adm/messages

6. comp.os.linux.advocacy

7. IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOG ALL THOSE STARTUP MESSAGES WHICH ARE SHOWN DURING BOOTING??

8. Accelerated-X prob.

9. logging boot messages

10. Logging boot messages with Redhat 4.2

11. Can anybody tell me how to log/read every messages during boot process

12. 2.4.21-UP - Unusual IDE messages in boot-log

13. Log file of boot messages?