custom jumpstart drops to interactive install, ignores custom config

custom jumpstart drops to interactive install, ignores custom config

Post by Han » Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:02:34

I am having trouble getting custom jumpstart to run automatically.  On
each attempt the client boots off of the jumpstart server, reads the
sysidcfg file, ignores the custom jumpstart file, and then drops into
interactive install mode.  Can anyone please help me determine why I
am not able to have the jumpstart client proceed with an unattended
install?

Once the machine has started the interactive install, if I drop to a
shell I see that the sysidcfg file has been copied to /tmp/root/etc
and is softlinked from the clients /etc file system.

The boot (/), install cd(/cdrom), and sysidcfg directories are all nfs
mounted but since the config files are in /export/jumpstart, a
directory
above sysidcfg and install, it can't read the config file.  I snooped
the
nfs traffic during a custom jumpstart attempt and did not see a mount
attempt for the /export/jumpstart dir that contains the configuration
profile.  But I do see the other nfs mount attempts for / /cdrom and
sysidcfg.

Here are the configuration options:

version: Solaris 9 4/04

/export/jumpstart/rules
-------------------------------
any -   -   workstation_ws1  -
-------------------------------
the rules file checks ok

/export/jumpstart/workstation_ws1
-------------------------------
install_type  initial_install
system_type   standalone
cluster       SUNWCprog
#             solaris with developer support
geo N_America
locale en_US.ISO8859-1
#dontuse c0t0d0
# do not use disk c0t0d0
partitioning  explicit
boot_device c0t2d0s0 update
#                    preserve or update eeprom
root_device c0t2d0s0
filesys c0t2d0s0 3062 /
filesys c0t2d0s1 2048 swap
filesys c0t2d0s3 1024 /var
filesys c0t2d0s4 3062 /opt
filesys c0t2d0s5 3062 /export
-------------------------------
This file checks out ok with pfinstall and the desitination host's
pvtoc

/export/jumpstart/sysidcfg_ws1/sysidcfg
-------------------------------
name_service=DNS {domain_name=xxxxx.xxx
name_server=xxx.xxx.xxx.100,yyy.yyy.yyy.100}
network_interface=eri0 {hostname=ws1 default_route=zzz.zzz.zzz.1
ip_address=zzz.zzz.zzz.3 netmask=255.255.255.0 protocol_ipv6=no}
root_password=plZr007m3
security_policy=NONE
system_locale=en_US
timezone=US/Eastern
terminal=vt100
timeserver=localhost
-------------------------------
I tried using both "network_interface=eri0" and
"network_interface=primary"
I think primary just means the first ethernet interface Solaris finds,
but
am not sure.  Either value does not change the end result for my
problem.

cat /etc/bootparams
ws1.domain  root=jumpservername:/export/jumpstart/install/sparc_9.4_04/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot
install=jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart/install/sparc_9.4_04
boottype=:in sysid_config=jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart/sysidcfg_ws1
install_config=jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart rootopts=:rsize=32768

/export/jumpstart/install/sparc_9.4_04/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot/add_install_client
            -s jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart/install/sparc_9.4_04
            -c jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart
            -P jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart/sysidcfg_ws1 ws1 sun4u

/etc/dfs/dfstab
share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /export/jumpstart

cat /etc/ethers
0:3:de:ad:be:ef ws1.domain

cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.12  jumpserver
xxx.xxx.xxx.3   ws1.domain ws1

I am booting the client with
boot net - install nowin

I ran a boot net -v and didn't get extra messages about the jumpstart
configuration.

The jumpstart server and the client have one network interface each,
and they are on the same class c.

I thank everyone in advance for their responses.  I value your advice.

Hank

#1 Are you actually doing a 'boot net - install'?

#2 Normally the console gives messages about finding and using a
   particular profile.  Do those messages appear?  Can you cut and paste
   them?

Quote:> Once the machine has started the interactive install, if I drop to a
> shell I see that the sysidcfg file has been copied to /tmp/root/etc
> and is softlinked from the clients /etc file system.
> The boot (/), install cd(/cdrom), and sysidcfg directories are all nfs
> mounted but since the config files are in /export/jumpstart, a
> directory
> above sysidcfg and install, it can't read the config file.

"can't"?  It should normally be mounted as /tmp/install_config.

Quote:> I snooped
> the
> nfs traffic during a custom jumpstart attempt and did not see a mount
> attempt for the /export/jumpstart dir that contains the configuration
> profile.  But I do see the other nfs mount attempts for / /cdrom and
> sysidcfg.

You are giving the "- install" on the boot line, right?  You might run
the rpc.bootparamd server in debug mode and see what it's asking for.
It should ask for the install_config parameter, which will tell it where
the rules.ok file is.

Quote:> cat /etc/bootparams
> ws1.domain  root=jumpservername:/export/jumpstart/install/sparc_9.4_04/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot
> install=jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart/install/sparc_9.4_04
> boottype=:in sysid_config=jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart/sysidcfg_ws1
> install_config=jumpserverip:/export/jumpstart rootopts=:rsize=32768
> I am booting the client with
> boot net - install nowin

Okay... darn.  Can we see the console output?  Do you have a serial
terminal that could capture it?

Quote:> I ran a boot net -v and didn't get extra messages about the jumpstart
> configuration.

No, you wouldn't.  Those would only apply to kernel and devices, which
finish up before the install program starts.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

custom jumpstart drops to interactive install, ignores custom config

Post by Han » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:00:27

I reinstalled the jumpstart files and everything worked.  I'm not sure
what was causing the problem, but I'm pretty sure I had the boot image
from the install cd put in place of the boot image from software cd 1.
 Which would cause webstart to run no matter what I setup in the
sysidcfg or custom profile server. I shouldn't have assumed that the
softlinks named Boot on both cds should point to the same data.

As a precaution against the chance that bad cdrom media was causing
the problem I downloaded the solaris iso's for the second install.

imgslice (ftp://smarty.smart.net/pub/rlhamil/goodies/imgslice.c) was
helpful in extracting the data from the solaris isos.
You would think that Sun would provide a utility to mount subsequent
slices in a fs image file when it aknowledges lofiadm needs to waste a
gig to make the install media available from the image files.
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsrdb/50566

Hank

> > I am having trouble getting custom jumpstart to run automatically.  On

> #1 Are you actually doing a 'boot net - install'?
yes

> #2 Normally the console gives messages about finding and using a
>    particular profile.  Do those messages appear?  Can you cut and paste
>    them?

> > Once the machine has started the interactive install, if I drop to a
> "can't"?  It should normally be mounted as /tmp/install_config.

Using sysid configuration file 131.92.80.12:/export/jumpstart/sysidcfg
Search complete.^M
The system is coming up. Please wait.

Those were the last three lines before web start kicked in.

1. install patches in custom jumpstart (2.5.1)

I must make some corrections to my original premise for making this work.
Additionally I will go into more explanation as to what I was doing.

I was having two problems in the chroot'ed environment:

   fsrdlock_mnttab: could not open (or some variation on this message)
   could not find mount point for /  (ditto)

In the act of trying to kludge this to work I did the following things:
   copying /etc/mnttab to /a/etc/mnttab
   remove leading "/a" from /a/etc/mnttab entries

   umount /proc in normal environment
   mount /proc in chroot'ed environment
   (this had the effect of creating a /etc/.mnttab.lock file)

So, it turns out to not truly be a reliance on /proc as it was on
having a real /etc/mnttab file AND the existance of /etc/.mnttab.lock.
I misled myself into believing it was /proc which is not the case.

So my patch install script does the following in preparation before
calling "install_cluster" in a chrooted environment:

   # remove leading /a. If /a<tab> replace with /.
   cat /etc/mnttab | sed -e 's/\/a      /\/     /' | \
                     sed -e 's/\/a//' > /a/etc/mnttab
   # create missing /etc/.mnttab.lock
   touch /a/etc/.mnttab.lock

Again, this is still kludgy.

Chris Barrera

: Is there a better way of doing this ?

: In Solaris 2.5.1 custom jumpstart I am trying to install patches in the
: finish script.

: The problem happens when the install_cluster, or even individual
: installpatch scripts provided attempt to determine how much free disk
: space is available before continuing. When doing this in a chroot'ed
: environment (chroot /a /patches/2.5.1_Recommended/install_cluster ...)
: df complains it cannot find / and thus it will not continue.

: Even odder, I discovered that df depended on /proc, which unfortunately exists
: outside chroot'ed environment. If I unmount /proc from its current location
: and mount it on /a/proc (i.e. umount /proc; mount -F proc /proc /a/proc), then
: df in the chroot'ed environent works just fine and the patches will install.

: What I don't like about having to do it this way is that it smacks of a
: kludge. A real BIG kludge. Does anybody have a better way to accomplish
: installing patches in a custom jumpstart under solaris 2.5.1 ?

: (yes I have "Automating Solaris Installations: A Custom Jumpstart Guide",
:  I modeled my patch install scripts on the example presented therein.
:  However, the book was published in the times of 2.4, and it seems 2.5.1
:  has undergone some major changes since judging by the nature of my problem.)

: Chris Barrera

2. Qt Makefiles

3. How to configure custom jumpstart on an install server

4. Where is USER set?

5. installing CDE using custom jumpstart on solaris2.5.1

6. Trouble with hdparm

7. install patches in custom jumpstart (2.5.1)

8. Unexpected end of file

9. Custom Jumpstart Scripts for Handsfree Installs

10. Custom jumpstart - installing DiskSuite packages

11. Problem with Custom Jumpstart install Solaris 2.7

12. Has anyone ever got custom jumpstart to install Solaris 8 IA

13. Install interactive package non-interactive during Jumpstart