fbe vs 'as'

Post by Henry Townsen » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:44:28

Can anyone explain the difference between the two Sun assemblers 'fbe'
and 'as'? Aside from the fact that fbe comes with Sun Studio and as is
bundled in /usr/ccs/bin, that is. I'm trying to figure out someone
else's old build system and I see that some assembler code is built with
one and some with the other. Neither one's man page mentions the other
and I can find no docs on the web contrasting them. It does look like
the fbe man page is adapted from as, because fbe mistakenly refers to
itself as 'as' in several places.

Thanks,
HT

fbe vs 'as'

Post by Seongbae Par » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:00:11

> Can anyone explain the difference between the two Sun assemblers 'fbe'
> and 'as'? Aside from the fact that fbe comes with Sun Studio and as is
> bundled in /usr/ccs/bin, that is. I'm trying to figure out someone
> else's old build system and I see that some assembler code is built with
> one and some with the other. Neither one's man page mentions the other
> and I can find no docs on the web contrasting them. It does look like
> the fbe man page is adapted from as, because fbe mistakenly refers to
> itself as 'as' in several places.

Sun Studio is shipped with fbe, and Sun Studio compiler uses fbe
as its assembler. Then, from time to time, fbe from a particular Sun
Studio
is taken and delievered as /usr/ccs/bin/as of Solaris.
Hence, "as" is some (older) version of "fbe".
They are one and the same, except for version difference.
The man page "mistakes" are understandable, but still an error
(although mostly harmless once you know fbe == as).

Seongbae

fbe vs 'as'

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:26:09

>Can anyone explain the difference between the two Sun assemblers 'fbe'
>and 'as'? Aside from the fact that fbe comes with Sun Studio and as is
>bundled in /usr/ccs/bin, that is. I'm trying to figure out someone
>else's old build system and I see that some assembler code is built with
>one and some with the other. Neither one's man page mentions the other
>and I can find no docs on the web contrasting them. It does look like
>the fbe man page is adapted from as, because fbe mistakenly refers to
>itself as 'as' in several places.

"fbe" is generally the "assembler we needed to run this particular
revision of the compiler with".

Historically, there have been cases were the Solaris "as" as identical
to one shipped with a particilar version of the compiler.

They're build from the same source, but one may be slightly ahead of
the other.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Tonight on 'Linux Deathmatch' - hostname vs. FQDN vs. NT network

I've got Linux (Red Hat 6.2) on a laptop which goes with me between
work and home.  At home, it lives in my personal domain; at work,
it lives on an otherwise generally NT network.

I initially put its FQDN in /etc/sysconfig/network's HOSTNAME line,
and the domain in the DOMAINNAME line but that made the FQDN show
up as the machine name when the (NT) network administrator looks
at the work network, and obviously that looks a bit odd.

I've replaced the FQDN with just the machine name in that line,
which should rectify that problem, and doesn't _seem_ to be causing
any others, but now 'hostname --fqdn' doesn't report the FQDN, just
the machine name.  Sigh.

Is there some sort of trivial workaround I'm missing that will make
the machine just show up as [host] on the work network, instead of
[host.personal.domain]?

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley - Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org/
Peruse my opinions, at http://dbirchall.epinions.com/user-dbirchall

2. Slow telnet

3. 'su ' vs. 'su -'

4. Best way of adding Windows Shares in DHCP env.

5. Question: '[[ test ]]' vs. '[ test ]'

6. .vacation and .forward

7. kermit help: 'make bsd' and 'kermit vs watchdog'

8. Lockup Problem

9. X windows question 'root' vs 'user'

10. 'priority' vs. 'nice'

11. ksh ': >a >b' -vs- '>a >b' re speed

12. 'ls -e' vs 'ls -l'

13. 'bdf' vs. 'df' - Is there somthing more efficient?