DLPI proxy ARP for Solaris 2.3+

Post by Doug Hugh » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

In a bind the other day, I needed a proxy ARP implementation for
Solaris2. Anyway, here's one written in DLPI that works quite well.

ftp.eng.auburn.edu:pub/doug/proxy-arp.tar.gz

Here's the README:

---
Proxy ARP implementation for Solaris 2.3, 2.4
Known to compile with Sparcworks 3.2 compilers.

Currently it has a hard-coded hardware address that it
answers for, so you would have to change this address in the
source code. You also would probably want to change the
interface from "/dev/qe" to "/dev/le". (We use it on a machine
with a quad ethernet board)

usage notes - forks and runs in background automatically

proxy-arp -i le1
(runs a proxy-arp on le1 in background)

proxy-arp -d -i le1
(does not fork, and prints debugging information - dumps packets raw)

INSTALLING:
change line 204 to the MAC address of the machine you are running
this one.

type 'make'
install it somewhere local
run it as above, and make an S file in /etc/rc3.d if necessary

NOTES:
This application responds to ALL arp requests. Every single one. If you
want it to only respond to certain ARP requests, you'll need to
modify the filter appropriately (shouldn't be hard.)

(If anybody knows a way to make this work without running a copy
for each interface, I'd love to know, the select code doesn't work
at all. I'm thinking it might be possible to bind multiple SAPs
to the kernel device interface, but haven't tried it yet)

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

DLPI proxy ARP for Solaris 2.3+

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>In a bind the other day, I needed a proxy ARP implementation for
>Solaris2. Anyway, here's one written in DLPI that works quite well.
>ftp.eng.auburn.edu:pub/doug/proxy-arp.tar.gz
>Proxy ARP implementation for Solaris 2.3, 2.4
>Known to compile with Sparcworks 3.2 compilers.

What does this offer you over:

        arp -s hostname ethernetaddress pub

for the hostname/ethernet address pairs you wish to "publish"?

Casper

Post by Doug Hughe » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> >In a bind the other day, I needed a proxy ARP implementation for
> >Solaris2. Anyway, here's one written in DLPI that works quite well.

> >ftp.eng.auburn.edu:pub/doug/proxy-arp.tar.gz

> >Proxy ARP implementation for Solaris 2.3, 2.4
> >Known to compile with Sparcworks 3.2 compilers.

> What does this offer you over:

>    arp -s hostname ethernetaddress pub

> for the hostname/ethernet address pairs you wish to "publish"?

Excellent question! Aside from being a good example of DLPI usage,
it allows you to answer ANY arp request as the local interface without
building a large static table in memory for every possible interface
that the host would arp for. the arp -s would normally be the best
solution, however, in our case it would require publishing a lot
of extra stuff in DNS. Actually, in our case, the right solution is
to reconfigure all our PC clients on these subnets, but it was also
the most time consuming.
For most people, arp -s is the way to go. Good point!

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

        Apple T-shirt on Win95 - "Been there, done that"