C shell hangs after executing a command on solaris 2.5

C shell hangs after executing a command on solaris 2.5

Post by trobin.. » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hello

I have a wierd problem which has just started happening on my solaris
2.5 box.

If I am in c shell (csh), every time it executes a program, the
shell hangs after the program has finished. This applies to csh scripts
as well as interactive use. It responds fine to builtin commands but
if I do, say, "ls", the output from ls comes out on the screen fine and
I can see (by doing ps in a different window) that the ls has exited,
but the shell never comes back with a prompt.

I can kill it with -STOP or -9 from another session, but ^C etc doesn't
seem to have any effect at all.

I have tried getting rid of all environment variables before invoking
the csh but this doesn't help either.

It's not using any CPU when it gets into this state; The box is
running fine apart from that; all other shells work OK; and the csh
binary itself looks OK so I am really stuck.

I have no idea what caused it to get into this state - we don't use csh
much apart from a few old scripts. The only thing I can think of that's
happened recently is we have installed samba, but I would guess that's
a red herring.

grateful for any ideas or suggestions from any remaining c shell users
out there

--- Tim Robinson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

[...]

Post by trobin.. » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Well, after failing to get to the bottom of it, as a last resort I
rebooted the box (in true Microsoft style) and the problem seems to
have disappeared.

--- Tim Robinson

> Hello

> I have a wierd problem which has just started happening on my solaris
> 2.5 box.

> If I am in c shell (csh), every time it executes a program, the
> shell hangs after the program has finished. This applies to csh
scripts
> as well as interactive use. It responds fine to builtin commands but
> if I do, say, "ls", the output from ls comes out on the screen fine
and
> I can see (by doing ps in a different window) that the ls has exited,
> but the shell never comes back with a prompt.

> I can kill it with -STOP or -9 from another session, but ^C etc
doesn't
> seem to have any effect at all.

> I have tried getting rid of all environment variables before invoking
> the csh but this doesn't help either.

> It's not using any CPU when it gets into this state; The box is
> running fine apart from that; all other shells work OK; and the csh
> binary itself looks OK so I am really stuck.

> I have no idea what caused it to get into this state - we don't use
csh
> much apart from a few old scripts. The only thing I can think of
that's
> happened recently is we have installed samba, but I would guess that's
> a red herring.

> grateful for any ideas or suggestions from any remaining c shell users
> out there

> --- Tim Robinson

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

Since I did the Y2K patch for Solaris 2.5 on a Ultra Sparc 1 system,
Informix 7.22 refuses to startup properly.
Anyone experienced a simular problem? Any suggestions?
Attached some system information and the relevant part of the online.log

Has van der Krieken.

# uname -a
SunOS sungemms 5.5 Generic_103093-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
# su - informix
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.5       Generic November 1995
$ onstat -V
INFORMIX-OnLine Version 7.22.UC2   Software Serial Number AAA#J917741
$ cat online.log

Mon Dec 27 16:09:48 1999

16:09:48  Event alarms enabled.  ALARMPROG = '/informix/etc/no_log.sh'
16:09:48  DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off)
16:09:49  INFORMIX-OnLine Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
16:09:49  Logical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  shmget: [ENOMEM][12]: key 52574804: out of shared memory, check
system
 SHMALL
16:09:49  out of virtual shared memory

16:09:49  Assert Failed: Internal Error - Segmentation Violation

                Thread(13, bld_logrecs, d039530, 1)
16:09:49   Results: OnLine must abort
16:09:49   Action: Reinitialize shared memory
16:09:49   See Also: /var/tmp/af.d813d
16:09:49  rsinit.c, line 9932, thread 13, proc id 20737, Segmentation
Violation.
16:09:49    PANIC: Attempting to bring system down

2. Looking for CD-ROM drive/disk advice

3. C shell hangs after executing any command on solaris

4. Modem Search

5. find command seems to hang under Solaris 2.5

6. who's trying to access?

7. Suspended Shell Commands Under Solaris 2.5

8. mail source code

9. 2.5.xx (BK current) hangs executing rpcinfo

10. Executing a command in Solaris 2.7 Bourne shell.

11. how to invoke another shell inside an shell and then execute the command

12. problem with executing commands from within the shell using a command string.

13. solaris 2.4 hangs + solaris 2.5 worth upgrading?