Non-root PAM authentication module available

Non-root PAM authentication module available

Post by Gary Mil » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 05:26:19

PAM authentication is sometimes difficult to employ because the PAM
module runs in the context of the caller, and therefore requires root
privileges.  I've written a PAM module called pam_shadow_auth that
avoids this restriction by communicating via RPC with a server program
that runs as root.  The PAM module and RPC server are written for
Solaris 2.6 and later Solaris versions.  Source is available at:

        http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/source/

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Why Doesn't IP Masquerading work

3. PAM, Shadow Passwords, non-root users

4. Adabas D

5. KDE 2.2 authentication problem with non-root users

6. inter-process communication

7. PPP available for non-root user

8. x86Solaris magazines/info ???

9. can't login as non-root and module problems

10. can't use sound modules as non-root

11. Looking for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Module) for Solaris

12. developing PAM authentication modules?

13. Solaris 2.4 Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM)