SunPC running Windows 95

Post by Bob Creighto » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I would like to load Windows 95 on my SunPC (with the 486 accellerator
card). Is there a guidebook (FAQ file) which I can reference?. I
remember someone here saying that it is not a problem, but Win95 needs
to load on a C: drive, and SunPC only supports a 32 MB drive size

--

Regards,

Robert W. Creighton, P.Eng.

P.O. Box 910
Halifax, NS CANADA             Voice: (902) 428-6877
B3J 2W5                        Fax:   (902) 428-6118

SunPC running Windows 95

Post by Cecil Jacobs, miSOFT Enginee » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I would like to load Windows 95 on my SunPC (with the 486 accellerator
> card). Is there a guidebook (FAQ file) which I can reference?. I
> remember someone here saying that it is not a problem, but Win95 needs
> to load on a C: drive, and SunPC only supports a 32 MB drive size

With SunPC 4.1, I was able to create a drive over 64MB in size.  Make
sure
you have installed patch 102924-06 or later rev.  I also made a complete
copy of the dos6 directory (named it dos7) that was world writable vs
the
normal permissions for the directory and files within it.  After
bringing
up the large drive under DOS and modifying the CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT
files to use the new dos7 directory, I rebooted that PC drive, then
installed
a FULL VERSION of Windows 95 from an OEM disk.  Make sure you follow the
On-line help booklet for installing the Video and File System drivers
for
WIN95.

I'm sure I have forgotten a number of steps here, but it should be
enough
to point you in the right direction.

--
Cecil Jacobs

      This message prepared 100% Microsoft-free.

SunPC running Windows 95

Post by John Car » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: I would like to load Windows 95 on my SunPC (with the 486 accellerator
: card). Is there a guidebook (FAQ file) which I can reference?. I
: remember someone here saying that it is not a problem, but Win95 needs
: to load on a C: drive, and SunPC only supports a 32 MB drive size]

I have SunPC 4.1 running on my Sparc 5 w/Win95 without a problem.
Depending on the version of SunPC you're running, you can have a drive
up to 128MB; that's what I have on mine.

If you can get to the point where you can get enough drive space to
install, the install is actually pretty easy... go through the install
as you would on a regular PC, only when it goes to scan the system for
devices, manually edit the list of things for it to scan for... it
will *otherwise. Things like audio devices, net devices, CDROMs,
most video cards, etc. can be exluded. It should install just fine with
the VGA 640x480 driver...

Good luck to you!

JC.

1. SunPC 4.1 and Windows '95???

I'm trying to install Windows '95 in SunPC 4.1, but I'm not having much
luck.

I'm running Solaris 2.5.1 with SunPC 4.1.  I have a SunPC Accelerator
card installed.  I also installed the latest SunPC patch
(102924-25), but Windows '95 still will not start.

Is it possible to run Windows '95 with SunPC 4.1?
Can someone point me to On-line documentation that explains how to
install Windows '95 with SunPC?

Thanks!

2. BDM debugger/lib for CPU16/32

3. Running OSE 5.0 and Windows 95 (How To Print To Local Win 95 Printer)

4. PS/2 mouse causes keyboard to vanish

5. WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

6. making one function shareable

7. smallcaps usernames

8. Re WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

9. X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

10. WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

12. Can I run Unix in Window 95 Environment?