core dumps with metadb (Oneline DiskSuite 4.0)

core dumps with metadb (Oneline DiskSuite 4.0)

Post by William C. Devine, I » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I'm installing for the first time, Online Disksuite.
I printed out the postscript files and now have the
documentation but when following the steps and doing
the initial state database creation I get a
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

i have two 4.2 gig drives, one partition is 3.99 gigs,
one is 64megs, and another is ~ 3 megs.
they're both set this way.  I am going to use
the 64meg partitions as mirrored UFS logging partitions,
and the 3meg on each one to hold 3-5 copies of the state
table database, and striping the 3.99gig part's into one
large partition.

When I use the following command:

/usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/metadb -c 3 -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s5
(s5 is the ~3meg partition)
I get this exact error:
# ./metadb -c 3 -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s5
metadb: Segmentation Fault
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

What can I do to find out WHY I'm getting this error message?
I'm running Solaris 2.4 x86, Adaptec 2940U,
two seagate 2.1gig, two seagate 4.2gig, sony 4x scsi cdrom,
64megs parity ram, P133, pci/isa board.
I've patched using the Recommended patches from Sun
(the huge group of recommended patches) EXCEPT instead of
using 10946-29 I used 10946-12 (10946-29 breaks INN).

Has anyone run into this and would be willing to share
your experiences in repairing the problem ?

thanx!
william

core dumps with metadb (Oneline DiskSuite 4.0)

Post by Supak Lailer » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> When I use the following command:
> /usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/metadb -c 3 -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s5
> (s5 is the ~3meg partition)
> I get this exact error:
> # ./metadb -c 3 -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s5
> metadb: Segmentation Fault
> Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
> What can I do to find out WHY I'm getting this error message?

Try to kill vold and then try again. I had an exact same problem and
this suggestion from Sunsoft tech worked.

Supal

1. DiskSuite 4.0 core dumps

I tried installing Solstice DiskSuite 4.0 on Solaris x86 v2.5.  First
off, will it work on this configuration?  According to the Sun home page
it says that it is available for "Solaris v2.3 or later for SPARC, or
Solaris v2.4 for x86".  Though it does not explictly say that it works
for x86 2.5, I'd find it hard to believe that it would not be supported
on v2.5.

Anyhow, with that assumption... I successfully installed the pkgs on the
CD-ROM and repartitioned 2 disk drives.  Since I had some excessively
large filesystems, I used "format" to make them a tiny bit smaller and
created 3 new partitions of approximately 1 MB, each (which should be
plenty of room to accomodate the 517 Kb requirement for each metadevice).
These new partitions are /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3, /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s4 and
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s3.  I rebooted the system as required and then I entered
the command:

# metadb -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s4 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s3

Which produces the following error message:

metadb: Segmentation Fault
Segmentation Fault - core dumped

when I run metadb without options I get:

metadb: gwar: there are no existing databases

Is there something I am missing?  Why does DiskSuite keep dumping
core?  As a sanity check I loaded up OpenWindows and ran the DiskSuite
Tool and it produces several lines of output, and then dumped core.

Thanks and any help is appreciated,

Phil Schwartz

2. NFS over very slow lines

3. metadb core dump

4. Optimize Linux for squid

5. KStatusBar core dump - XFree86 4.0 + FreeBSD 4.0

6. My solution for my arcnet support ? for linux

7. dump core or not dump core

8. Two problems

9. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

10. Disksuite 4.2: fsck core dump

11. 2.5.1 -> 2.6 & DiskSuite [Was: Solaris 2.6 & Solstice DiskSuite 4.0]

12. Star Office 4.0 floating point exception core dump

13. DiskSuite 4.2 metadb replicas