tar -rvEf still failing w/large (>8GB) files in Solaris

tar -rvEf still failing w/large (>8GB) files in Solaris

Post by Ward Ros » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 02:05:49

Hello all,

I have been happily using tar on my Solaris 8 box to save some very
large files. The man page for tar (/usr/bin/tar) suggests adding the
"-E" arg will allow files large that 8GB to be tarred. I still get the
"too large to archive" message.

I am tarring this large file into a destination tar file that was
created using the "-E" arg so it should work.

Is this a bug? Should I be using GNU tar?

Thanks,

(Ward)

Post by Joerg Schilli » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:19:06

>Hello all,

>I have been happily using tar on my Solaris 8 box to save some very
>large files. The man page for tar (/usr/bin/tar) suggests adding the
>"-E" arg will allow files large that 8GB to be tarred. I still get the
>"too large to archive" message.

>I am tarring this large file into a destination tar file that was
>created using the "-E" arg so it should work.

Last Time I checked, Sun's tar _was_ able to deal with large files ( > 8 GB),
although it uses a non-POSIX-2001 way (same method but different Key letter -
Sun's idea was the base for the POSIX-2001 extensions but Sun does not
yet implement POSIX-2001) to archive the files > 8 GB.

Do you use a non large file aware shell?

Quote:>Is this a bug? Should I be using GNU tar?

No, better is to use star:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star/

GNU tar is only able to deal with files > 8 GB with the method I designed
before POSIX-2001 was out. Star implements my old method _and_ the POSIX.1-2001
method. So Star created archives are safe for the future...

--

Post by Paul Egger » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 04:28:24

> GNU tar is only able to deal with files > 8 GB with the method I designed
> before POSIX-2001 was out.

"I designed"?  That doesn't match my recollection.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:17:07

>> GNU tar is only able to deal with files > 8 GB with the method I designed
>> before POSIX-2001 was out.

>"I designed"?  That doesn't match my recollection.

Then you seem to forget about our mail exchange :-(

You did implement a different method (base 64) that was limited to 60 bits
for 12 Byte fields and to 36 bits for 8 Byte fields.

A few weeks later, I proposed you to do what I had in mind: a base 256
method that allows 95 Bits for 12 Byte fields and 63 bits for 8 Byte fields.

You "only" suggested to tentatively limit the number of used bits to 88 for
12 Byte fields and to 56 for 8 Byte fields wich currently does not result in a
visbible difference.

My proposal was done in order to avoid different ways of archiving long numbers
in the two free tar implementations when there was no POSIX.1-2001 yet.
Now that POSIX.1-2001 is known and available, this old method is de-facto
outdated.

--

Post by Paul Egger » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:26:43

> >> GNU tar is only able to deal with files > 8 GB with the method I designed
> >> before POSIX-2001 was out.

> >"I designed"?  That doesn't match my recollection.

> Then you seem to forget about our mail exchange :-(

> You did implement a different method (base 64) that was limited to 60 bits
> for 12 Byte fields and to 36 bits for 8 Byte fields.

> A few weeks later, I proposed you to do what I had in mind: a base 256
> method that allows 95 Bits for 12 Byte fields and 63 bits for 8 Byte fields.

> You "only" suggested to tentatively limit the number of used bits to 88 for
> 12 Byte fields and to 56 for 8 Byte fields wich currently does not result in a
> visbible difference.

It provided more room for future expansion, which is a reasonable
goal.  I think it would be fairer to say that you and I worked
together on it than to say merely "I designed it".  Of course you can
put your name first.

Quote:> Now that POSIX.1-2001 is known and available, this old method is de-facto
> outdated.

Yup.  But it's still supported.

1. File too large when tar 8GB file through NFS server to tape

Hi all,

I have a problem on this, I have a NFS Client(AIX) mount to NFS
Server(Linux) which share a 8GB file, the tape drive are connected to
AIX. When I try to tar this file to tape drive, the error occur like

tar: 0511-825 The file '/psgCVS/Backup/psgcvs.tar' is too large.

any idea??

p/s:I have change the ulimit=-1, tested local mount point as a enabled
large filesystem or normal direcory, OS is AIX433.

Thank you

2. how to change screen resolution in XFree86?

3. large (>8GB) IDE hard drives and Redhat Linux

4. Sharing memory between tasks

5. Very large hard drives (>8Gb)

6. Cross/Distributed Compiling

7. FreeBSD with >8GB drives where BIOS is restricted to <8GB

8. Qlogic QLA2340L FC HBAs + STK + Red Hat ES 3

9. rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted ( WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris)

10. Very Large Hard Drives (>8Gb)

11. a large drive needs re-partitioned for Sol8 - >8gb

12. help copying large .tar and .tar.gz files

13. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary