4500 issue with veritas/clarrion issue

Post by Bria » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,

I've got an Enterprise 4500(solaris 2.6) with 500GB of mirrored Clarrion
drives thats having a few issues. Yesterday we noticed by running
"netstat" that there were 9435 connections to the machine in a
"CLOSE_WAIT" state. We were not able to stop any applications on the box
(ie: Oracle) so I just issued the "reboot" commad. When the machine
boots backup, it goes through POST with takes about 10 minutes, then it
tries to check all of the filesystems and just hangs. According to
sunsolv, it will take up to 40 minutes per 100GB of disk space to run
the check. The problem is that the check never finishes. Has anybody
else had experience with the same setup and experinced the same sort of
issues? If so, what was your fix? Thanks in advance.
--
Brian
http://www.eviscerated.net

Post by Mark Velasque » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I've got an Enterprise 4500(solaris 2.6) with 500GB of mirrored Clarrion
: drives thats having a few issues. Yesterday we noticed by running
: tries to check all of the filesystems and just hangs. According to
: sunsolv, it will take up to 40 minutes per 100GB of disk space to run
: the check. The problem is that the check never finishes. Has anybody

Brian,

  We have a Sun E3000 with 750GB of storage on a Clarrion, but we're
using VxFS( 'cause we wanted to avoid the fsck ). We also have 300+GB on
Sun Storage Arrays as well...when these crash it can take up to two hours
to fsck the filesystems after a hard crash...but these are hung off sparc
20s !!

 I remeber having problems with large filesystems on BSD-based systems(
and having to hack the scripts that ran fsck & do some ulimits )... but I
wouldn't expect you to have problems on Solaris 2.6

 How large are your filesystems ?
 Can you run Solaris 2.7 with "logging"( to avoid the fsck ) ?

Assuming you've set the "throttle" back in sd.conf/fca.conf/atf.conf per
the documentation....

Mark

1. 4000 / 4500 configuration issues

I am currently in charge of 16 Sun 4000 and 4500 servers. While
documenting the hardware configurations I see that over time the
hardware components have been swapped to keep critical systems running
and to shift processing power and memory to overloaded systems. While
looking through the dated system manuals I see many configuration
rules, most of which have been ignored on these systems. What are the
current configuration rules for these systems:

1) Can different speed CPUs be mixed? This seems to work with the
slowest speed CPU setting the speed for all the rest.
     Are there combinations of CPU speed that should be avoided? What
affect does different size cache have?

2) Is there an issue of mixing 84 MHz and 100 MHz system boards in the
same system? I assume that the slowest system board would set the
speed of the system clock.
     What is the difference that would be seen between a system clock
of 84 MHz and 100 MHz? Or would a difference only be noticed on
systems that are fully loaded?
     I have several 4500s with clocks boards capable of 84, 90 or 100
MHz and all system boards capable of 100 MHz. The output of prtdiag
shows a system clock speed of 84 MHz.  Does the clock board need to be
set to specific clock speed?

From a practical point of view does it make sense to sort these 4000 &
4500 systems so that the 4500s only contain 100 MHz capable
components?

Thanks for any information.

2. OnStream SCSI Drive Problems

3. Are there stability issues with Veritas Foundation Suite 4 and Solaris?

4. Motif+XF3.1. Which vendor PLEASE

5. Veritas VXVM 4.0 installation issues

6. Java Development on LinuxPPC

7. (Issue) Upgrade from Sun Enterprise Volume Manager to Veritas Volume Manager

8. sun 3/50 on linux box: Xsun fails

9. Veritas Netbackup issue - tape selection

10. Performance issues Solaris and Veritas !!

11. (Issue) Upgrade from Sun Enterprise Volume Manager to Veritas Volume Manager

12. The "NT vs. Linux" thread not the issue...real issue elsewhere