What kind of hard drive should I get for a sparc 5

What kind of hard drive should I get for a sparc 5

Post by Ricardo Bosc » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:48:56

thanks

rickb

1. Swapping drives from Sparc 20 to Sparc 5 (boot drives)

This is the situation.  For reasons beyond our control we have lost a
Sparc 20 and are replacing it with a Sparc 5.  We are running Solaris 2.3
with all 'recommended' patches installed.

I need to put the drive from the 20, into the 5.  The OS was installed on
the 20.  On putting the disk into the 5, the following happens:

The system 'seems' to partially boot.  / _seems_ to mount, but as it goes
along, /usr _doesn't_ seem to get mounted.  As a result, it can't find
/usr/sbin/fsck, thus it can't check the filesystems, and reboots.
This tells you that the rc* files are being run, that's why I assume root
is mounted.

The error it gives is something along the lines of '/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3'
not found.  i.e. it can't find the device/slice.  I've tried booting with
the 'boot -r' option to rebuild /dev and /devices however it can't get that
far, since it can't mount the drives.

I've tried putting the disk into 2 seperate Sparc 5's and the same still
happens.  Right now I've got the important slices on the drive mounted on
a second Sparc 20.  This is temporary and I really need to get the disk
working in a Sparc 5 (booting).

I've got a Sparc 5 right now with a fresh Solaris install.  I can mount
the disk from the Sparc 20 in this system, and mount / and work with it, so
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do I need to completely transfer all of the data from the drive to my
freshly installed Sparc 5?  Or is there a way to make the original disk
from the Sparc 20 boot in the 5?

Thanks...

- Oliver
  MBNet System Administrator

2. DNS Problem

3. copying hard drive to hard drive

4. Adding service on boot up

5. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

6. KDE apps and special characters

7. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

8. asus z80k raster problem on FC4

9. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy

10. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

11. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

12. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

13. Once a Linux Hard Drive ALWAYS a Linus Hard Drive???