Bad PBR sig?

Post by Steve Taylo » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:40:55

Hello.
I tried to install Solaris 8 01/01 on an ASUS PC, was able to get as far
as loading the Configuration Assistant onto the hard drive, setting the
keyboard, display, mouse...then when I reboot I get a "Bad PBR sig"
message after the BIOS tests run and it is about to load from disk.
Resetting the BIOS has no affect and the machine is dead in the water.

What does this error message mean?

Thanks.

  Steve Taylor
  Geological Survey of Canada

Bad PBR sig?

Post by emilhou » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 13:32:15

> Hello.
> I tried to install Solaris 8 01/01 on an ASUS PC, was able to get as far
> as loading the Configuration Assistant onto the hard drive, setting the
> keyboard, display, mouse...then when I reboot I get a "Bad PBR sig"
> message after the BIOS tests run and it is about to load from disk.
> Resetting the BIOS has no affect and the machine is dead in the water.

> What does this error message mean?

> Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

>   Steve Taylor
>   Geological Survey of Canada

dude, once solaris loads its 'mini-boot' into memory it has all it needs
to boot itself to complete the installation. upon accepting the initial
configs for your interface with system (ie., keyboard, display, mouse,
etc.) and  once the machine reboots, immediately remove the install
disk! if you do not, solaris will load the install procedure again
wiping the original 'mini-boot' from mem and starting anew. if you
remove the disk at this point, the boot record for any os in memory will
be splattered, which leaves you with the "pbr' error code.

emilhous

1. help boot message BAD PBR SIG

I'm having a problem installing Solaris 8  on an intel system
Process instaling is OK,
when Solaris restart and boot write message BAD PBR SIG and stop.
Pls help me.

disk 4 Gb seagate
video ATI RANGE PRO
net 3com

Grzegorz Korzeniowski

2. HELP: uucp copy files problem.

3. install Solaris8i on x86 (Bad PBR sig)

4. Java JVM Options

5. "Bad PBR sig" ,Install Solaris 8 Error.

6. Iomega Ditto 3200 Configuration

7. bad PBR sig .. error

8. sub

9. Why "Bad PBR sig" occurs?