printenv vs. devalias

Post by 3.. » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

What is the difference between the two?  Aren't both show OpenBoot
setting?
 Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

printenv vs. devalias

Post by Martin Pau » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> What is the difference between the two?  Aren't both show OpenBoot
> setting?

you didn't see a difference when you tried them ?

printenv shows general OpenBOOT settings, while devalias shows
device aliases, which can be used eg. for the boot command.

read more about it in the "OpenBoot Collection" answerbook.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01-3105608-84
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01-3105608-88

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. Crash at bootup; ?Boot blocks problem - please help!

3. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

4. Books?

5. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

6. Color with xterm

7. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

8. WOW! Such venom! (Was:Re: Heil Gates!)

9. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

10. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

11. /cgi-bin/printenv

12. PRINTENV

13. funny zsh behavior with printenv and more