Patch Manager???

Post by Himanshu Gohel (DM » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>There was a patch checker avaialble, but I do not know if it still
>works...

Nope, it doesn't seem to...mail bounces.  But it seems like a great service!
Anyone know an updated address?

Sun has a script that checks patches from showrev -p output too...I wonder
if they would be willing to share that with the general populus?

--

WEB URL: http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/
Digital Medical Imaging Program (DMIP)

Patch Manager???

Post by Gavin Maltby - Sun UK - Support Enginee » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >There was a patch checker avaialble, but I do not know if it still
> >works...

> Nope, it doesn't seem to...mail bounces.  But it seems like a great service!
> Anyone know an updated address?

I wrote the original patchchecker autoresponder you speak of.
When I moved companies I knocked that service out because I
couldn't maintain it and didn't want it disseminating false/bad info.

Quote:> Sun has a script that checks patches from showrev -p output too...I wonder
> if they would be willing to share that with the general populus?

I've written the Mk II version of this at SunService UK.
Unfortunately it relies on the directory structure of the patch
database as seen internally,  so is not generally usable.  This
is part of a cunning function in which you can specify which
product to check with syntax like -p sunos,sna/3270 -v 5.5.1,9.0
to check SunOS 5.5.1 patches and SNA 3270 9.0 patches (ie, check
revision of installed patches as per showrev AND highlight
other patches for the product that are not installed).

I believe there may be an enhancement to a future version of SunSolve
to incorporate a similar functionality.  I've also heard mention
of something being built into the OS sooner or later.

Cheers

Gavin

--
Gavin Maltby - Operating System Support, Sun Microsystems Ltd
               Watchmoor Park, Camberley, Surrey, UK, GU15 3YL

Patch Manager???

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

--=-=-=__CGHP8CFxy1LAZ+SUNZdjIUmD+__=-=-=

Polanskis) writes:

>>There was a patch checker avaialble, but I do not know if it still
>>works...

> Nope, it doesn't seem to...mail bounces.  But it seems like a great service!
> Anyone know an updated address?

> Sun has a script that checks patches from showrev -p output too...I wonder
> if they would be willing to share that with the general populus?

> --

> WEB URL: http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/
> Digital Medical Imaging Program (DMIP)
> University of South Florida, Tampa, FL.  USA

I've attached a patch_analyser script which was posted up on this group several

Caruso doesn't mind me re-posting it for the benefit of all.

Here is a snip of his original post found by DejaNews:-

This is a Perl script I wrote to simplify checking for patch updates,
using a patch report file from Sunsolve.  See the top of the file for
usage notes.  Basically it's just:

        % patchcheck Solaris2.5.PatchReport

The output is a listing of which patches on the system need to be
updated, which recommended/security patches should be added, and so
on.  I've found it enormously useful thus far--much easier than doing
it by hand.  If anyone has suggestions for changes, let me know.  My
own biggest beef is that the output's a little busy, but at least it's
easy to read.

As always, no warranty is expressed or implied, caveat emptor, neither
a borrower nor a lender be, etc etc.  If you use it and like it (or use
it and hate it) let me know.

[snip]

--
John Caruso, Senior Technical Consultant
ADP Claims Solutions Group                 Phone: (800) 366-4237 x2102

-------end of re-posting----

--

Best Regards,

Brian S. Craigie
Unix Sysadmin
NEC Semiconductors (UK) Ltd

< Of course I'm not speaking for my employer.  I'm not even speaking for me! >
--=-=-=__CGHP8CFxy1LAZ+SUNZdjIUmD+__=-=-=

<encoded_portion_removed>
fQ==
--=-=-=__CGHP8CFxy1LAZ+SUNZdjIUmD+__=-=-=--

1. Patch Manager / Patch Pro confusion.

Group,

  Have any of you used the Solaris Patch Manager Base / Patch Pro
products offered by Sun to patch multiple servers running different
versions of Solaris, successfully?   And if so, do you have these
processes outlined somewhere?  Thanks.

-BW

2. Trapping window close in X?

3. patch manager analyze obsolete patches

4. Monitor Problems in XFree 86. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

5. Patch manager 2.0 error: Cannot connect to retrieve patchdb

6. Help

7. Patch Manager base version on Solaris 8

8. Help with SCSI errors, timeouts, and resets.

9. Second Post for Patch Manager...

10. In regards to "Re: Second Post For Patch Manager"

11. Sun Patch Manager 2.0?

12. patch manager work with 9?

13. Second Post for Patch Manager...