Help with Network settings?

Post by rthaw » Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:39:36

Hi, I've been struggling to get my Solaris 8 x86 box networked.  I've
been getting help from a very good Sys Admin, but he is unfamiliar with
this router.  I have the BEFSR41 V.2 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with
10/100 4-Port Switch

complete.  But I am unable to ping either the router not the WinME
hosts.

If anyone has had luck and got this working, please drop me a line and
let me know what you did.

Thanks!
Mike

Help with Network settings?

Post by Andrey Andreye » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:25:11

Quote:> Hi, I've been struggling to get my Solaris 8 x86 box networked.  I've
> been getting help from a very good Sys Admin, but he is unfamiliar with
> this router.  I have the BEFSR41 V.2 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with
> 10/100 4-Port Switch

The router behaves like usual DHCP server. Just setup your interface as DHCP
configured and
your network should be up. Make sure that you enabled the DHCP on your
router (go to 192.168.1.1, login as administrator and ....).

> complete.  But I am unable to ping either the router not the WinME
> hosts.

> If anyone has had luck and got this working, please drop me a line and
> let me know what you did.

> Thanks!
> Mike

1. Help request - networking, setting up local & internet together

I've searched howtos, online sources, etc. for a few weeks now.  I
just can't seem to get it figured out.

I have RedHat Linux (6.0?) set up with DSL internet access with a
static IP using eth0.  I have eth1 set up with connections to two
local PCs running NT.  Physically, they seem correct - I can telnet to
Linux from across the internet, and can telnet to to either the
internet IP or the LAN IP address from the NT boxes.  I can even
browse the web on the NT boxes through the Linux DSL connection.

I know things aren't quite right, because I can't use the Linux box as
a POP mail server.  I can pick up POP mail from an internet account
using Pegasus/NT.  I can telnet into linux and use pine to read my
mail.  What I want to do (and can't) is pick up POP mail from the
Linux box.  I've tried the domain name, and both IP addresses of the
Linux box.  I've tried "mail", and anything else I can think of.  I
can _not_ telnet into the Linux box using port 110.

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction as far as
files to check, questions to ask, etc.?  Linux terminology has me a
bit confused, and I've reached the end as far as sources to consult.

Thanks for any assistance!

Dave

2. How to set the speed of D-Link DFE-530TX+ to 10Mbps?

3. Help with network settings

4. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

5. Need some host and domain tips.

6. Network Settings / Duplex / Auto-Negotiation How To Verify / Check Settings

7. Abit BP6 question

8. Setting up Linux network with X network configurator

9. setting up RH 5.1 networking to an NT dhcp network

10. Setting up Linux networking (0.99pl9) with NFS NIS network

11. Need help setting up network files

12. HELP: setting up a small network