Mounting cdrom across network

Post by s.. » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:58:22

> When trying to mount a cdrom from 1 server onto another I am
> getting errors
> nfs mount: nile: : RPC: Program not registered
> nfs mount: retrying: /tmp/cdrom
> On the server that the cdrom is mounted I run the command
> share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom
> On the server that i want the cdrom mounted i run the command
> mount -F nfs <server>:mnt/cdrom /tmp/cdrom
> This is happening on all the server and Sun workstations on the
> network.

mountd
nfsd
share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom

--
Bye.
Alex.

----------------------
Altai State University
   Internet Center

tel   : +7 3852 220202
fax   : +7 3852 367423

Mounting cdrom across network

Post by Nathan Dietsc » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:15:46

Xander,

AFAIK the NFS server will not start unless you have an entry in
/etc/dfs/dsftab. Without the server starting no NFS, hence the RPC program
not registered error.

Put something in /etc/dfs/dfstab
/etc/init.d/nfs.server start

You could put your /cdrom entry in there if it is permanent.

Nathan

Quote:> When trying to mount a cdrom from 1 server onto another I am
> getting errors
> nfs mount: nile: : RPC: Program not registered
> nfs mount: retrying: /tmp/cdrom
> On the server that the cdrom is mounted I run the command
> share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom
> On the server that i want the cdrom mounted i run the command
> mount -F nfs <server>:mnt/cdrom /tmp/cdrom
> This is happening on all the server and Sun workstations on the
> network.

Mounting cdrom across network

Post by Dennis `6 » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 05:13:09

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:16:24 +0000 (UTC), in article

Quote:

>When trying to mount a cdrom from 1 server onto another I am
>getting errors
>nfs mount: nile: : RPC: Program not registered
>nfs mount: retrying: /tmp/cdrom
>On the server that the cdrom is mounted I run the command
>share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom
>On the server that i want the cdrom mounted i run the command
>mount -F nfs <server>:mnt/cdrom /tmp/cdrom
>This is happening on all the server and Sun workstations on the
>network.

I have seen a problem where the cdrom needs to have the proper
path shared. Instead of sharing just /cdrom, mount the cdrom,
do a mount or df and determine how vold mounts it :

/vol/dev/dsk/c0t6d0/INFOCOMP
                     571658   571658   0   100%   /cdrom/INFOCOM

just share /cdrom/INFOCOMP

Then mount that.

===
Politicians and diapers have a lot in common...
they both should be changed often

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. X -query is unrecognized, why?

3. how to uncompress .diff.gz

4. Sharing CDROM across the network.

5. please help me figure this out

6. Sharing CDROM across network: How?

7. I like Linux! If you don't, you do not have to use it.

8. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

9. slow file opens on nfs mount across high-latency network

10. Can I install (SuSE) across a network from a Windows NT mounted CD?

11. Mounting file systems across network

12. NFS Install--Mounts across mounts??