Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Tony Smol » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have an Ultra-10 that reports that the / filesystem is 100% even though
there is free space.  Even after deleting files, df still shows 100%.
I figured that it was probably a bug, and installing the latest patches would
help, but I can't do that because patchadd reports that there isn't enough
space!

When this used to happen to me on HP/UX, rebooting fixed the problem, but
that doesn't help me either in this case

--
Tony Smolar
Email: asmolar-at-(mediaone)dot.net

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by mike schec » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Check out man tunefs.   Look specificaly at the -m minfree option.
Depending on how much space you are missing this is probably your problem.
Ufs  Sets a certaion percentage of disk space for performance reasons.  I
believe that this defaults to 10 percent.  I am assuming that you are using
ufs, as I dont think this is an issue with veritas out of the box.

-mike

> I have an Ultra-10 that reports that the / filesystem is 100% even though
> there is free space.  Even after deleting files, df still shows 100%.
> I figured that it was probably a bug, and installing the latest patches
would
> help, but I can't do that because patchadd reports that there isn't enough
> space!

> When this used to happen to me on HP/UX, rebooting fixed the problem, but
> that doesn't help me either in this case

> --
> Tony Smolar
> Email: asmolar-at-(mediaone)dot.net
> (I welcome any email from real people, but my address is mangled to help
thwart

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Steen Hans » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

It could also be that you have a large open file, say a log file, that you
have deleted. The disk space is still alloctaed to the file until you
shut down that process that has it open.

S*

>Check out man tunefs.   Look specificaly at the -m minfree option.
>Depending on how much space you are missing this is probably your problem.
>Ufs  Sets a certaion percentage of disk space for performance reasons.  I
>believe that this defaults to 10 percent.  I am assuming that you are using
>ufs, as I dont think this is an issue with veritas out of the box.

>-mike

>> I have an Ultra-10 that reports that the / filesystem is 100% even though
>> there is free space.  Even after deleting files, df still shows 100%.
>> I figured that it was probably a bug, and installing the latest patches
>would
>> help, but I can't do that because patchadd reports that there isn't enough
>> space!

>> When this used to happen to me on HP/UX, rebooting fixed the problem, but
>> that doesn't help me either in this case

>> --
>> Tony Smolar
>> Email: asmolar-at-(mediaone)dot.net
>> (I welcome any email from real people, but my address is mangled to help
>thwart

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>It could also be that you have a large open file, say a log file, that you
>have deleted. The disk space is still alloctaed to the file until you
>shut down that process that has it open.

To confirm this, you can compile and run 'lofs'.

It will list the open files of processes.
normally, it will work out the actual path names of the files.
If you find a file open that only lists a device, you will know that you
screwed up.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Logan Sh » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>To confirm this, you can compile and run 'lofs'.

You mean "lsof", right?

  - Logan

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>>To confirm this, you can compile and run 'lofs'.

>You mean "lsof", right?

umm. yeah :-)

I've been using lofs much more than lsof, recently.

( I THOUGHT it looked odd. I stared at it for bit, decided I recognized it,
 and went ahead and posted it. oops :-)

The word of the day is mispergitude

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Don » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

If you remove files and it's still 100%, this usually means the
process that's writing to the file is still in memory. You'll need to
restart the process or a reboot wil do the job.

--Don

>I have an Ultra-10 that reports that the / filesystem is 100% even though
>there is free space.  Even after deleting files, df still shows 100%.
>I figured that it was probably a bug, and installing the latest patches would
>help, but I can't do that because patchadd reports that there isn't enough
>space!

>When this used to happen to me on HP/UX, rebooting fixed the problem, but
>that doesn't help me either in this case

>--
>Tony Smolar
>Email: asmolar-at-(mediaone)dot.net
>(I welcome any email from real people, but my address is mangled to help thwart

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Philip S. Johnso » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

It happened to me when I accidently directed a large file to "/root".  I had to
find the file in root and delete it.  Try it.

> >>To confirm this, you can compile and run 'lofs'.

> >You mean "lsof", right?

> umm. yeah :-)

> I've been using lofs much more than lsof, recently.

> ( I THOUGHT it looked odd. I stared at it for bit, decided I recognized it,
>  and went ahead and posted it. oops :-)

> --
> [Trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
> [ Do NOT email-CC me on posts. Pick one or the other.]

> The word of the day is mispergitude

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by yp.. » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Folks,

I have the following dumb question:

How many Superblocks are on one disk if the disk
has 3 partitions?

I understand a disk can be partitioned as one or
more partitions, each of which contains one file
system. VTOC referred as the Volume Table of
Contents contains the partition information for
the disk and is stored in sector 0 of every disk.
The sector 1-15 is reserved for bootblk. The
sector 16-31 of the disk is reserved for A
superblock containing A file system contents. If
the disk is divided as multiple partitions, how
many superblocks will be on one disk and what is
the layout for these superblocks?

Your info will be highly appreciated.

--Ying

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

Post by Mike Vo » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

As I understand it, the number of superblocks is dependant on the size
of the partition.  The first is at 16-31 (actually I thought it was
1-31 but I could be wrong), the second starts at 32.  Then there others
dupliacates spread oll over the disk. On my U-5 (Sol-7) they are every
~88k-sectors.

mike

--
 /*-------------------------------+-----------+----------------------------*/
         Do it Right,  Do it Big,  Do it with Class,  Make it Fun

 /*------------------ http://mvore.home.netcom.com -----------------------*/

1. Filesystem always reported as 100% full

Hello

I'm using SUSE 6.4 and I'm having problems with one of my
filesystems. It's always 100% full (according to 'df'), regardless how
many files are deleted. I'm sure that this must be an error, but I
have absolutely no idea how to correct it. As far as I remember even
running 'fsck' did not change anything. I am slowly getting troubles
with different applications, for example some of my Java apps refuse
to write to files anymore. Here is the output of 'df':

Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3              3927769   3821206         0 100% /
/dev/hda1                 7496      3019      4077  43% /boot
/dev/hdc                116654    116654         0 100% /cdrom

Thanks in advance for any ideas. If possible please include my

bye
--
Sam Jordan

2. LILO & System Commando

3. /usr 100% full when it isn't

4. Question about Concentric Network, and their SLIP/PPP login sequence

5. 'df' continues to report filesystem full after files deleted

6. Problem w/ Apache SSI

7. HELP: df reports hd=100% FULL...incorrect!!!

8. test closes stdin - why?

9. df misreporting 100% usage on 25% full filesystem

10. Questions about 100% full root filesystem

11. newbie - root filesystem is 100% full

12. filesystem full -> It's not full

13. 10 full/half 100 full/half