Solaris2.x on Sparc5 "stack underflow" where x > 5 ?

Post by John Weekle » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I've received two replies one of which stated that Solaris2.6 and higher
> cannot boot on Sparc5 (obviously wrong) and another suggested to tweak with
> jumpers on the motherboard...

> Anyway, I still do not know the actual cause of the problem, but I do know
> a bullet-proof solution so I'll post it for those poor souls who posted
> similar questions and were left in dark without an enlightement :-)

> I've noticed that 'Stack undeflow' does not occur when boot command does
> not incur the power cycle. If anyone know how to disable power cycle on boot,
> prey tell me (you still have an explicit reset command). However, my solution
> was to interrupt the hardware diagnostics cycle during memory initialisation
> stage and retype boot command. Tested at least 20 times with 'boot',
> 'boot diskM:N', 'boot cdrom', and even 'boot cprboot':

>         0. Turn on the power (or arrive at Ok prompt by halt, init 0, etc.)
>         1. Type your 'boot ...' command at Ok prompt.
>         2. Wait until banner appears and 'Initializing memory' stage starts.
>         3. Be quick! Type <Stop-A> while the cursor still rotates.
>         4. At Ok prompt re-type your 'boot ...' command.
>         5. Happily watch your latest Solaris (mine is Solaris7) loading :-)

> Incidentally, if you keep tweaking with OpenBoot commands you may find
> yourself at a contiguous 'Stack underflow' stream. Following steps 3 and 4
> leads to step 5 as well.

> > Hi gurus,

> > I've recently purchased a Sparc5 station (MicroSparcII 85MHz).

> > The box installs and runs (for a few month) Solaris2.5 without any
> > problem. When, however, I try to boot 2.5.1 off the original CD in
> > 70% the boot dies with 'stack underflow'. I still managed to install
> > it at some point, but the same story happened when booting off HD.
> > I also tried 2.6. This one dies 100 out of 100 attemts straight.

> > I can obviously see the pattern here (2.7beta will probably burn the
> > machine on the first boot :-) but I have no clue as to what the problem
> > could be. Altavista search came with one question like mine (this spring)
> > but no answer.

> > Have any of you had this problem? Is there any [cost effective] solution
> > to it?

> > Thanks in advance!
> > -igor

Okay, this is really odd.  I have an SS5 70Mhz that's had no problems
booting 2.5.1, 2.6 or 2.7.  Uptimes for 2.5.1 and 2.6 have been over 3
months each.  I've never had any problems booting off the installation
CD.

John Weekley

Post by Guy T » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: Okay, this is really odd.  I have an SS5 70Mhz that's had no problems
: booting 2.5.1, 2.6 or 2.7.  Uptimes for 2.5.1 and 2.6 have been over 3
: months each.  I've never had any problems booting off the installation
: CD.

Same here with a Sparc 5 85MHz, 110MHz and 170MHz.

Guy

Post by Attila Si » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> I've received two replies one of which stated that Solaris2.6 and higher
>> cannot boot on Sparc5 (obviously wrong) and another suggested to tweak with
>> jumpers on the motherboard...

>> Anyway, I still do not know the actual cause of the problem, but I do know
>> a bullet-proof solution so I'll post it for those poor souls who posted
>> similar questions and were left in dark without an enlightement :-)

>> I've noticed that 'Stack undeflow' does not occur when boot command does
>> not incur the power cycle. If anyone know how to disable power cycle on boot,
>> prey tell me (you still have an explicit reset command). However, my solution
>> was to interrupt the hardware diagnostics cycle during memory initialisation
>> stage and retype boot command. Tested at least 20 times with 'boot',
>> 'boot diskM:N', 'boot cdrom', and even 'boot cprboot':

>>         0. Turn on the power (or arrive at Ok prompt by halt, init 0, etc.)
>>         1. Type your 'boot ...' command at Ok prompt.
>>         2. Wait until banner appears and 'Initializing memory' stage starts.
>>         3. Be quick! Type <Stop-A> while the cursor still rotates.
>>         4. At Ok prompt re-type your 'boot ...' command.
>>         5. Happily watch your latest Solaris (mine is Solaris7) loading :-)

>> Incidentally, if you keep tweaking with OpenBoot commands you may find
>> yourself at a contiguous 'Stack underflow' stream. Following steps 3 and 4
>> leads to step 5 as well.

>> > Hi gurus,

>> > I've recently purchased a Sparc5 station (MicroSparcII 85MHz).

>> > The box installs and runs (for a few month) Solaris2.5 without any
>> > problem. When, however, I try to boot 2.5.1 off the original CD in
>> > 70% the boot dies with 'stack underflow'. I still managed to install
>> > it at some point, but the same story happened when booting off HD.
>> > I also tried 2.6. This one dies 100 out of 100 attemts straight.

>> > I can obviously see the pattern here (2.7beta will probably burn the
>> > machine on the first boot :-) but I have no clue as to what the problem
>> > could be. Altavista search came with one question like mine (this spring)
>> > but no answer.

>> > Have any of you had this problem? Is there any [cost effective] solution
>> > to it?

>> > Thanks in advance!
>> > -igor
>Okay, this is really odd.  I have an SS5 70Mhz that's had no problems
>booting 2.5.1, 2.6 or 2.7.  Uptimes for 2.5.1 and 2.6 have been over 3
>months each.  I've never had any problems booting off the installation
>CD.

>John Weekley

Same here on a sparc 4 70 with Solaris 7, no hassles.

Attila