Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Donny Citro » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
multibooted?
I can live with separate disks for each OS but I must have multiboot
capabilities.
Another related question is: Is it possible to development software under
Solaris x86
and then just compile on a SPARC based machine? Or is it more complicated
than that. I'm not planning any specific hardware tricks and I guess the
lowest levels
I'll be programming at are TCP/IP and shared memory.

Thanks in advance,
--
Daniel Citron
Head of Development

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
>multibooted?

Yes that is possible.

Quote:>Another related question is: Is it possible to development software under
>Solaris x86
>and then just compile on a SPARC based machine? Or is it more complicated
>than that. I'm not planning any specific hardware tricks and I guess the
>lowest levels
>I'll be programming at are TCP/IP and shared memory.

yes, that is possible and it works fine.

When programming TCP/IP the only thing that can go wrong is byteorder
dependencies but since you're working on a little endian machine
getting those right is crucial anyhow (if you get them wrong on SPARC, it'll
"just work" until you compile and run the code on x86)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Tony Reev » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
>multibooted?
>I can live with separate disks for each OS but I must have multiboot
>capabilities.

Yes, I have a 100MB Dos partition on my first SCSI drive (Total size
2GB) and the balance is Solaris.  My second drive (4GB) has a 2GB NTFS
partion with NT4.0 installed.  This also containd NT apps etc.  A
second 2GB FAT partition contains all my data which is accessable from
both NT and Solaris.

Note - Most Important.  Install Solaris first and DO NOT let NT write
a signature on disk one.  If you do you will*the Solaris install
and need to blow away all partions in DOS and start again to get
Solaris to work.  It seems that an NT signature and Solaris are not
compatible on the same disk.

Quote:>Another related question is: Is it possible to development software under
>Solaris x86
>and then just compile on a SPARC based machine? Or is it more complicated
>than that. I'm not planning any specific hardware tricks and I guess the
>lowest levels

You should have no problems unless you are programming for x86
hardware specifically.

Regards

Tony

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>>Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
>>multibooted? I can live with separate disks for each OS but I must have
>>multiboot capabilities.
>Yes, I have a 100MB Dos partition on my first SCSI drive (Total size
>2GB) and the balance is Solaris.  My second drive (4GB) has a 2GB NTFS
>partion with NT4.0 installed.  This also containd NT apps etc.  A
>second 2GB FAT partition contains all my data which is accessable from
>both NT and Solaris.
>Note - Most Important.  Install Solaris first and DO NOT let NT write
>a signature on disk one.  If you do you will*the Solaris install
>and need to blow away all partions in DOS and start again to get
>Solaris to work.  It seems that an NT signature and Solaris are not
>compatible on the same disk.

        Actually, I've always installed Solaris *after* Windows NT, but
I follow the install with installation/update of OSBS, my OS boot selector.
Works like a champ. OSBS20B8 can be found on www.freebird.org.

P.S. I hate to put *any* critical data in a FAT partition, because it's just
too damn fragile.

Quote:>>Another related question is: Is it possible to development software under
>>Solaris x86
>>and then just compile on a SPARC based machine? Or is it more complicated
>>than that. I'm not planning any specific hardware tricks and I guess the
>>lowest levels
>You should have no problems unless you are programming for x86
>hardware specifically.
>Regards
>Tony

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Steve Col » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
> multibooted?

Yes, as long as you don't use NTFS on the NT side.

Quote:> Another related question is: Is it possible to development software under
> Solaris x86
> and then just compile on a SPARC based machine? Or is it more complicated

That's more or less the case, as long as you don't use hardware-specific
code.  I've been unable to port less than 5% of all software without more
than a few minutes of work.

Quote:> I'll be programming at are TCP/IP and shared memory.

No problem, then.  You may have to change the memory model for Intel, but
most people don't need to bother.

Cheers,
Steve      |President & Systems Administrator,  Kingston Online Services
           |(e pluribus unix)    Multiple-T1    URL: http://www.kos.net/
           |Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario

           |"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
           |backbone, bounced from satellite, it's nothing but net."
           |(forgive me if I'm terse, I answer hundreds of e-mails a day)

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Jon Hi » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>> Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
>> multibooted?

> Yes, as long as you don't use NTFS on the NT side.

 Not quite right you can use NTFS for the NT partition on the same
disk as solaris, my machine runs 2.5.1 alongside NTFS. The only problem is that you then can't mount the
NT partition under solaris, you've got to reboot into NT to get at the
filesystem, unlike FAT which is visible from solaris.

regards
--
Jon Hill

Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
Centre for Environmental Technology                 tel. 0171 594-9293

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>> Can Solaris x86 and WNT reside on the same disk? Can the machine be
>> multibooted?
>Yes, as long as you don't use NTFS on the NT side.

        Not so, provided you use an appropriate boot selector. If you
insist on relying on Solaris' built-in selector, I guess you're right.
But use something like OSBS (or perhaps System Commander) and it won't
matter.

Solaris x86 and Windows NT

Post by Steve Col » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  Not quite right you can use NTFS for the NT partition on the same
> disk as solaris, my machine runs 2.5.1 alongside NTFS. The only problem is that you then can't mount the
> NT partition under solaris, you've got to reboot into NT to get at the
> filesystem, unlike FAT which is visible from solaris.

This is with multiple drives?  It seems to me that I was entirely unable
to get that working, but I'm going back more than a year's recollection
now.

Cheers,
Steve      |President & Systems Administrator,  Kingston Online Services
           |(e pluribus unix)    Multiple-T1    URL: http://www.kos.net/
           |Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario

           |"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
           |backbone, bounced from satellite, it's nothing but net."
           |(forgive me if I'm terse, I answer hundreds of e-mails a day)

1. File Server for Windows clients (was: Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?)

The point is well taken that it is more difficult to shoe-horn myriad Windows
clients into the UNIX server's "preferred" file serving protocol--that can be
an administrative nightmare.

Fortunately, as has been pointed out here, that is not necessary.  You can
still have the very best transaction and Internet server (UNIX) and easily
serve files and printing to your Windows/DOS clients.

Note that SCO VisionFS not only available for just SCO OpenServer/UnixWare
or Intel-based systems, but for SPARC Solaris and HP-UX as well.  Ports
for SPARC SunOS, AIX and other UNIXen should be out by year end.

VisionFS also works with other Vision Family products, such as SuperVision,
to help remotely manage all those pesky PCs. ;^)

There is also SCO Advanced File and Print Server for OpenServer Release 5
(Host or Enterprise) systems, which is the actual NT code ported to UNIX.
SCO Advanced File and Print Server comes with NetBEUI, which gives you the
networking you need to tie Windows/DOS desktops to OpenServer.  For those
smaller accounts, a 5-user AFPS + 5-user Host is $1690 U.S. (list prices).

Why SCO VisionFS instead of samba?  Well, it's a fully supported commercial
product with documentation and integrated administration utilities.  And SCO
has done some optimization work to increase performance (and presumably will
continue to do so).

Besides, now that SCO OpenServer (and soon, SCO UnixWare) are *free* for
non-commercial home, educational and evaluation purposes there's no excuse
for not checking out the also free 1-user AFPS "Lite" or the VisionFS demo.

%^)

Regards,

Tim

--
Her sun is gone down while it was yet day.

                                                         --Jeremiah 15:9

2. How to share 56k dial-up internet connection within the LAN ?

3. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

4. SLIP hang: where to find answers?

5. Vision FS (was: Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?)

6. 8mm and 1/4" SCSI addressing problem

7. Windows NT 4.0 / Solaris x86 Dual Boot

8. unzip and crypt

9. Window NT and Solaris 2.5.1 x86

10. Windows NT Loader and Booting Solaris/x86 2.6

11. Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?

12. Solaris x86 and Windows 95/NT question

13. windows NT and solaris x86 2.6