cdr usage on Solairs

Post by Duane Elliso » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a Ricoh CD-RW MP6200S and was wondering if it is possible to use
this device on a Solaris 2.6 Intel base machine.  I would like to build
distribution cdrom's for a software package I have.  I figure it all
else fails I can move the files to Windows 95 and master the cdrom on
that machine.

I do not really intend to use the RW portion of the device on Solaris,
unless if it was support.

Thanks for any information on links to web sites or faq's with the
answers!

Duane...

cdr usage on Solairs

Post by Matthew Levin » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

It should work if the CD-RW is a SCSI drive.  If it is IDE than you will
have to find a driver or more likely write the driver yourself.  The next
task then is finding CD-R software for Solaris.  Try www.hycd.com but it may
run you a pretty penny as most UNIX software does.

Good luck!
Matthew

>Hello,

>I have a Ricoh CD-RW MP6200S and was wondering if it is possible to use
>this device on a Solaris 2.6 Intel base machine.  I would like to build
>distribution cdrom's for a software package I have.  I figure it all
>else fails I can move the files to Windows 95 and master the cdrom on
>that machine.

>I do not really intend to use the RW portion of the device on Solaris,
>unless if it was support.

>Thanks for any information on links to web sites or faq's with the
>answers!

>Duane...

cdr usage on Solairs

Post by Sebastian-Johannes Beno » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: Hello,
:
: I have a Ricoh CD-RW MP6200S and was wondering if it is possible to use
: this device on a Solaris 2.6 Intel base machine.  I would like to build
: distribution cdrom's for a software package I have.  I figure it all
: else fails I can move the files to Windows 95 and master the cdrom on
: that machine.

you can use the mkisofs with solaris:
ftp://andante.jic.com/pub/mkisofs/

: I do not really intend to use the RW portion of the device on Solaris,
: unless if it was support.
:
: Thanks for any information on links to web sites or faq's with the
: answers!

There you are:
http://saturn.tlug.org/suncdfaq/

Modern computers have advanced to the point where they are extremely
intuitive, though obviously you have to spend a lot of time learning
how to use them first.

- Sebastian Benoit

- http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~benoit

cdr usage on Solairs

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>It should work if the CD-RW is a SCSI drive.  If it is IDE than you will
>have to find a driver or more likely write the driver yourself.  The next
>task then is finding CD-R software for Solaris.  Try www.hycd.com but it may
>run you a pretty penny as most UNIX software does.

>>Hello,

>>I have a Ricoh CD-RW MP6200S and was wondering if it is possible to use
>>this device on a Solaris 2.6 Intel base machine.  I would like to build
>>distribution cdrom's for a software package I have.  I figure it all
>>else fails I can move the files to Windows 95 and master the cdrom on
>>that machine.

>>I do not really intend to use the RW portion of the device on Solaris,
>>unless if it was support.

Cdrecord supports this drive. At least one guy at Cisco uses it too ;-)

However, IDE currently does not work because of a bug in the IDE driver
from Sun.

Cdrecord is free and located on ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord

Try the latest alpha release, it is needed to blank the RW media.

Joerg