Can Idedicate CPU to a process ?

Post by Kishore Sannidhana » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi

   Can I dedicate a cpu to a process in a two cpu sparc system running
solaris 2.5

Thanks in advance

Post by rchan.. » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

>    Can I dedicate a cpu to a process in a two cpu sparc system running
> solaris 2.5

> Thanks in advance

man on 'pbind'.

Post by Tony Walto » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi

> >    Can I dedicate a cpu to a process in a two cpu sparc system running
> > solaris 2.5

> > Thanks in advance

> man on 'pbind'.

To be precise, pbind dedicates a process to a CPU, not a CPU to a
process (ie it will force a process to run on a given CPU but doesn't
stop other unbound processes from running on that CPU as well).

--
Tony

My opinions may not coincide with those of Sun Microsystems at all times

Post by rchan.. » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > man on 'pbind'.

> To be precise, pbind dedicates a process to a CPU, not a CPU to a
> process (ie it will force a process to run on a given CPU but doesn't
> stop other unbound processes from running on that CPU as well).

> --
> Tony

Excellent point. How about 'pbind' the process to a particular CPU, and
then setting 'ulimit -t', will that work?  The tricky issue might what
other LWPs are bounded already to that processor, I suppose.

--
Opinions are my own.

Post by Andy Tucke » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > >    Can I dedicate a cpu to a process in a two cpu sparc system running
> > > solaris 2.5

> > man on 'pbind'.

> To be precise, pbind dedicates a process to a CPU, not a CPU to a
> process (ie it will force a process to run on a given CPU but doesn't
> stop other unbound processes from running on that CPU as well).

Yes.  Dedicating a cpu to a process (or dedicating a cpu to
a set of processes, or dedicating a set of cpus to a set of
processes) will be supported in 2.6 as part of the processor
set facility.

A hack that might do what you want in 2.5 (since it's a two
processor system) is to use pbind to bind your process to one
CPU, then also use pbind to bind all the other processes in
the system to the other CPU.  Obviously this doesn't work very
well if you have more than two processors.

--
Andy Tucker

Solaris Clustering
I speak only for myself, not SunSoft or Sun Microsystems.

1. Machine with multiple CPUs: which CPU is running which process?

We have a symmatric multiprocesssing server with 4 CPUs.  Everyone
knows how to use "ps" command to get list of running processes, but I
need to know specifically which one of four CPU is running which
process out of so many processes running in the server.  Expecially, I
would like to be able to get list of processes running on a specific
CPU among those four CPUs.  Does anybody know how to?  Thank you in
advance.

2. 2.2.5 PPP jam I am...

3. Changing how LILO boots

4. process moves from cpu to cpu?

5. Sound difficulties :(

6. Sun license manager...1%cpu...1%cpu...50%cpu50%cpu50%cpu....

7. NYC LOCAL: New York City Noon Monday 10 December 2001: Rally to Free Dmitry Sklyarov

8. It's not bad canned meat...

9. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

10. CGI: apache canned response

11. For those of you tired of canned distributions...