Graphical apps do not display after su, only if telnet directly

Graphical apps do not display after su, only if telnet directly

Post by Winbat » Sat, 04 May 2002 23:29:23

Hi,
We have a character based graphical application that runs in a telnet
session.  It works fine if we telnet in and login as a specific user.
However, if we logon as a different user and su to the specific user,
the graphical application does not come up.  I'm sure this has
something to do with stdout or a display variable or something, but
I'm not sure.  Is there something that needs to be reset following an
su to make the graphical application to come up?

Thanks,
Winbatch

Post by Dipesh Hinduj » Sat, 04 May 2002 23:41:52

> Hi,
> We have a character based graphical application that runs in a telnet
> session.  It works fine if we telnet in and login as a specific user.
> However, if we logon as a different user and su to the specific user,
> the graphical application does not come up.  I'm sure this has
> something to do with stdout or a display variable or something, but
> I'm not sure.  Is there something that needs to be reset following an
> su to make the graphical application to come up?

> Thanks,
> Winbatch

Doing just an su or su -l ?
su -l should work fine...

Dipesh

Post by Joe Durusa » Sun, 05 May 2002 04:07:48

> > Hi,
> > We have a character based graphical application that runs in a telnet
> > session.  It works fine if we telnet in and login as a specific user.
> > However, if we logon as a different user and su to the specific user,
> > the graphical application does not come up.  I'm sure this has
> > something to do with stdout or a display variable or something, but
> > I'm not sure.  Is there something that needs to be reset following an
> > su to make the graphical application to come up?

> > Thanks,
> > Winbatch

> Doing just an su or su -l ?
> su -l should work fine...

> Dipesh

You might be having a problem with permissions on the host running the X
server.
If the X server is running on a unix-like machine, try running xhost
<hostname>
where <hostname> is the name of the host running the client app before
starting the telnet session.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 05 May 2002 04:23:16

>Hi,
>We have a character based graphical application that runs in a telnet
>session.  It works fine if we telnet in and login as a specific user.
>However, if we logon as a different user and su to the specific user,
>the graphical application does not come up.  I'm sure this has
>something to do with stdout or a display variable or something, but
>I'm not sure.  Is there something that needs to be reset following an
>su to make the graphical application to come up?

Doesn't the application issue any error messages?  How about a
debugging mode that will print errors it encountered?

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Post by d.. » Sun, 05 May 2002 07:48:23

: We have a character based graphical application that runs in a telnet
: session.  It works fine if we telnet in and login as a specific user.
: However, if we logon as a different user and su to the specific user,
: the graphical application does not come up.  I'm sure this has

try the command
        env
when logged in with the program working, and when you do your su, with it
not working.
You might remedy the differences by doing
        su - gooduser
where the "-" causes the new user's environment to be "evaluated", much like
running
        . $HOME/.profile
might, after doing the su.  see
        man su
for some thoughts about this.

--
---

                - Pope Valley (Napa County) CA.

Graphical apps do not display after su, only if telnet directly

Post by -wisegu » Fri, 10 May 2002 01:01:15

Quote:> Hi,
> We have a character based graphical application that runs in a telnet
> session.  It works fine if we telnet in and login as a specific user.
> However, if we logon as a different user and su to the specific user,
> the graphical application does not come up.  I'm sure this has
> something to do with stdout or a display variable or something, but
> I'm not sure.  Is there something that needs to be reset following an
> su to make the graphical application to come up?

> Thanks,
> Winbatch

are you using "su - user"or simply "su user"?

There is a difference.

--
-- Rob Prowel (A.K.A. da wiseguy)