sunray screen size and session migration

sunray screen size and session migration

Post by Frank Cusac » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:42:56

The recent article on the 2fs vs 1g et al. got me thinking.  I
wouldn't mind getting a sunray at home.  I already have the Solaris
server, which it turns out is where I do all my work anyway.  I'd like
to get rid of the desktop noise.

Then I was looking at the tadpole comet.

What happens if I had a 2fs with 2 large monitors, and then wanted to
work on the laptop?

-frank

Post by Wes William » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:47:21

> The recent article on the 2fs vs 1g et al. got me thinking.  I
> wouldn't mind getting a sunray at home.  I already have the Solaris
> server, which it turns out is where I do all my work anyway.  I'd like
> to get rid of the desktop noise.

> Then I was looking at the tadpole comet.

> What happens if I had a 2fs with 2 large monitors, and then wanted to
> work on the laptop?

> -frank

Perhaps you could then use Sun Secure Global Desktop?

http://www.sun.com/software/products/sgd/
https://sgddemo.sun.com/

Post by Frank Cusac » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:15:09

>> The recent article on the 2fs vs 1g et al. got me thinking.  I
>> wouldn't mind getting a sunray at home.  I already have the Solaris
>> server, which it turns out is where I do all my work anyway.  I'd like
>> to get rid of the desktop noise.
>> Then I was looking at the tadpole comet.
>> What happens if I had a 2fs with 2 large monitors, and then wanted
>> work on the laptop?
>> -frank

> Perhaps you could then use Sun Secure Global Desktop?

I think you are thinking that I'd have 2 different sessions on the
2 different sunrays.  I'm saying that I'd pull my smartcard from 1
and migrate the session to the other.

I've found some hints that on the smaller screen it will pan and scan.
-frank

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:22:04

>>> Then I was looking at the tadpole comet.
>>> What happens if I had a 2fs with 2 large monitors, and then wanted
>>> work on the laptop?
>>> -frank
>> Perhaps you could then use Sun Secure Global Desktop?
>I've found some hints that on the smaller screen it will pan and scan.

Yes, the smaller resolution device will pan and scan the desktop.
Sun Ray/Xinerama fortunately fires off Utmhscrren which will even let
you select which "virtual screen" you want to look at. (ie monitor 1
and monitor 2)

So absolutely no worries mate!!!

Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lundholm

1. to run multiple X sessions with different virtual screen sizes

When running Linux, I have for years found it handy to use a virtual screen
size that is larger than the physical screen. Currently I have in
XF86Config:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "ATI|Rage XL AGP"
    Monitor     "ViewSonic G773"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        Virtual     1340 840
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

However, when I run VMware in full screen mode, this does not work well
because the VMware svga driver has not been programmed to allow for any
virtual screen deviation in its full screen mode.

I struck out trying to control VMware by launching it in Xnest, but
I am able to launch a second X session from a separate virtual console
login:

$ startx -- :1

after commenting out

#        Virtual     1340 840

in XF86Config and then jockey back and forth between the two sessions with
alt-ctrl-f8/alt-ctrl-f7.

Now I want to be able to do this without having to manually edit XF86Config
each time I want to launch an X session with a different virtual size.

As I use fvwm, I know I can have separate .fvwmrc files and write a script
to differentiate between the different X sessions with a command line
argument. But what about the XF86Config? I know there must be a way to
specify an alternate XF86Config on the command line or to specify an
alternate 'Screen' section within the XF86Config, but I don't readily see
in my reading how to do this.

Anyone have a clue? Or a better idea?

Thanks in advance,
Dwight

2. Speed of Linux

3. Sunrays lost sessions

4. Linux-Java-LimeWire-java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

5. SunRay NSCM Duplicate Sessions

6. Detail Data missing in errpt

7. Q: SunRay - Change *Default* Video Setting For a given SunRay?

8. need help with sis chipset

9. Screen Size problem on Sony LCD screen

10. DT session halts after 4.1.4 -> 4.3.3 migration

11. Virtual screen size and screen resolution

12. Changing screen resolution on a SunRay system?

13. Screen blanking on Sunray terminals