RDIST, RSYNC or something else? replication

RDIST, RSYNC or something else? replication

Post by James R. Marchetti, I » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Looking for anyone using Veritas Site Replicator on NFS servers, over a WAN
connection for redundancy and that likes its performance and failover
procedures.

If you use it, let me know. I would like to know what you think of it, your
experiences, etc.

Also, if not using Site Replicator, what are you using? RDIST, RSYNC or
something else?

Thanks,
Jim
James Marchetti
"No matter where you go, there you are..."
"Whatever you do, do it RIGHT from the start"

1. rdist does not do true replication - what can?

I'm using rdist to 'mirror' a filesystem from Machine A to Machine B
across the network(both Solaris 7). I use it because it can remove
extraneous files -
files deleted on A get deleted on B - cp,rcp can't do this. There is one

problem! As the man page for rdist says:

    The utility rdist  maintains copies  of  files  on  multiple
     hosts. It preserves the owner, group, mode, and modification
     time of the master copies, and can update programs that  are
     executing.  (Note:  rdist   does  not propagate ownership or
     mode changes when the file contents have not changed.)

It's the last bit which is the problem :-

"rdist   does  not propagate ownership or mode changes when the file
contents have not changed."

For true replication I need ownership/mode to be updated on Machine B as

they occur on Machine A even when file contents don't change.

Is there anything out there which will do true replication? It doesn't
seem much to ask for. I'm even prepared to consider commercial s/w.

Many thanks
Majella

2. printcap file for HP IIP printer

3. filesystem replication and rdist

4. 2.4.19-rc5 with ipchains module

5. Best tool to distribute files (rdist, rsync, cfengine)

6. A few Solaris 10 issues

7. rsync replacement for rdist

8. How do you confine users to their own home directory?

9. Stock Solaris rdist vs rsync

10. rdist and rsync

11. Something like a HOWTO req'd on rdist

12. rdist or something similar