Solaris and SunOS

Post by vikas gupt » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:16:21

Hi,

what are the main diff between SunOS 5.6  and  Solaris 2.6  .....
I am always confused between these two.

thanks
Vikas

Solaris and SunOS

Post by -wisegu » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:29:48

Quote:> Hi,

> what are the main diff between SunOS 5.6  and  Solaris 2.6  .....
> I am always confused between these two.

> thanks
> Vikas

none whatsoever.  Sun used to call their OS SUNOS  They started also calling
it Solaris at round about the SUNOS 4.2 release.  This also corresponds to
when it's flavor switched from BSD to SVR4.

Your two products listed are the same...But, for sake of conistency just call
it Solaris 2.6.

--
-wiseguy
Recursion is such a deep concept.

Solaris and SunOS

Post by vikas gupt » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:37:17

Thanks Guys!!
just wanted to make sure ones again..... and finally!

> > what are the main diff between SunOS 5.6  and  Solaris 2.6  .....
> > I am always confused between these two.

> One starts with "SunOS" and the other starts with "Solaris".  Only
> problem is getting a program to distinguish between the two strings.

> The distinction is purely marketing speak and gives me a
> headache--supposedly SunOS is the core OS and Solaris includes
> everything else.

> In practice, I've always referred to SunOS 4.x as the older version of
> the OS based on BSD and Solaris 2.x (and now 7, 8, and 9) as the SVR4
> variant.

> Are your ears bleeding yet...

> --
> Michael Vilain Certified Advanced Rolfer

> Envision a just and peaceful world, in which all people achieve their full potential and live with love, respect, and compassion.

Solaris and SunOS

Post by Philippe Delso » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:13:34

Quote:>Hi,

>what are the main diff between SunOS 5.6  and  Solaris 2.6  .....
>I am always confused between these two.

>thanks
>Vikas

SunOS is the OS
Solaris included SunOS and some packages like Openwin and CDE.

Philippe

Solaris and SunOS

Post by vikas gupt » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 01:00:35

Hi,

how can we check the C++ compiler version??

thanks