How to mount USB flash memory to Sun Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 150?

How to mount USB flash memory to Sun Solaris 9 on Sun Blade 150?

Post by Adrian Ho » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:12:40

Hi,

I have a JetFlash 128MB USB Flash Memory Pen. I can access (read /
write) on my Apple iBook (Mac OS X) and SuSE Linux 8.2 box. But I can't
have it mounted on my SB150 with Solaris 9.

% mount -F autofs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 /flash

Nothing appears and sometime hangs when I do "ls /flash". c1t0d0s2 is
not listed when I do "df -kl".

When I do

% iostat -En

I get:

c1t0d0          Soft Errors: 5 Hard Errors: 4 Transport Errors: 19
Vendor: JetFlash Product: 128MB   E2207FD3 Revision: A37E Serial No:
Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 5 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

Is this the Flash Pen problem?

Could someone help me?

Thank you.
--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

Post by Juergen Kei » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:31:16

> I have a JetFlash 128MB USB Flash Memory Pen. I can access (read /
> write) on my Apple iBook (Mac OS X) and SuSE Linux 8.2 box. But I
> can't have it mounted on my SB150 with Solaris 9.

> % mount -F autofs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 /flash

autofs is the wrong filesystem type.  Most likely, you need "pcfs".
And you probably have to tell pcfs to find the FAT FDISK partition on
the device (":c" device suffix):

   mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2:c /flash

But before trying that, verify that it's possible to read from the usb
mass-storage device:

  dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2 of=/dev/null count=100

The dd command should report 100 records in/100 records out; there
should be no error messages.

Post by Adrian Ho » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:35:26

>>I have a JetFlash 128MB USB Flash Memory Pen. I can access (read /
>>write) on my Apple iBook (Mac OS X) and SuSE Linux 8.2 box. But I
>>can't have it mounted on my SB150 with Solaris 9.

>>% mount -F autofs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 /flash

> autofs is the wrong filesystem type.  Most likely, you need "pcfs".
> And you probably have to tell pcfs to find the FAT FDISK partition on
> the device (":c" device suffix):

>    mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2:c /flash

I tried this and it reported that it was not DOS filesystems.

I referred to Eunice Santorini's thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&thread...

but I could not find a solution.

Quote:> But before trying that, verify that it's possible to read from the usb
> mass-storage device:

>   dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2 of=/dev/null count=100

> The dd command should report 100 records in/100 records out; there
> should be no error messages.

I'm replying this post at home and have no access to SB150. I will try
it tomorrow when I get back to my office.

Does the result of "iostat" make any sense?
--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

Post by Juergen Kei » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:56:57

> Does the result of "iostat" make any sense?
> c1t0d0          Soft Errors: 5 Hard Errors: 4 Transport Errors: 19
> Vendor: JetFlash Product: 128MB   E2207FD3 Revision: A37E Serial No:
> Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 5 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

It doesn't look too good, there are quite a few errors logged.

The five "illegal request" errors *might* be harmless, these might be
some advanced SCSI commands sent by the Solaris SCSI disk driver that
the flash memory device doesn't implement (e.g.  a scsi "start unit"
command, or a "reserve unit" command).  I guess each of the illegal
request errors is counted as one "soft error".

The transport & hard errors could be a more serious problem.

For that reason you should first test if the device is readable at
all, using the "dd" test.  There's no point in trying to find out the
"correct" mount command, when the data on the USB device simply isn't
accessable for the Solaris kernel.

Post by Adrian Ho » Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:57:55

>>Does the result of "iostat" make any sense?

>>c1t0d0          Soft Errors: 5 Hard Errors: 4 Transport Errors: 19
>>Vendor: JetFlash Product: 128MB   E2207FD3 Revision: A37E Serial No:
>>Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
>>Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
>>Illegal Request: 5 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

> It doesn't look too good, there are quite a few errors logged.

> The five "illegal request" errors *might* be harmless, these might be
> some advanced SCSI commands sent by the Solaris SCSI disk driver that
> the flash memory device doesn't implement (e.g.  a scsi "start unit"
> command, or a "reserve unit" command).  I guess each of the illegal
> request errors is counted as one "soft error".

> The transport & hard errors could be a more serious problem.

> For that reason you should first test if the device is readable at
> all, using the "dd" test.  There's no point in trying to find out the
> "correct" mount command, when the data on the USB device simply isn't
> accessable for the Solaris kernel.

dd gives:

100+0 records in
100+0 records out

--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

Post by Juergen Kei » Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:32

> dd gives:

> 100+0 records in
> 100+0 records out

OK.  It's able to read 100 sectors (50 kbyte) from the usb device just
fine.  Was there any significant delay reading these 100 sectors?  It
should not take much longer than one second, to read these 100
sectors.

The

    mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2:c /mnt

is complaining that the device doesn't contain a DOS filesystem, right?

To find out if there are fdisk partitions on the flash memory device,
dump out the fdisk partition table using the command:

    fdisk -W - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2

For your 128MB flash device, I would expect to see an fdisk partition
with ~ 256000 sectors.

Post by Adrian Ho » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:00:34

>>dd gives:

>>100+0 records in
>>100+0 records out

> OK.  It's able to read 100 sectors (50 kbyte) from the usb device just
> fine.  Was there any significant delay reading these 100 sectors?  It
> should not take much longer than one second, to read these 100
> sectors.

It returns the result in no more than 2 seconds.

Quote:

> The

>     mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2:c /mnt

> is complaining that the device doesn't contain a DOS filesystem, right?

> To find out if there are fdisk partitions on the flash memory device,
> dump out the fdisk partition table using the command:

>     fdisk -W - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2

> For your 128MB flash device, I would expect to see an fdisk partition
> with ~ 256000 sectors.

Here is the fdisk results:

% fdisk -W - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2
fdisk: Cannot open device /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2.

% fdisk -W - /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2
fdisk: /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 must be a raw device.
--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m

Post by Juergen Kei » Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:05:37

> Here is the fdisk results:

> % fdisk -W - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2
> fdisk: Cannot open device /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2.

You have to run it as user "root".

Unfortunatelly, fdisk doesn't print the reason why it was
unable to open the device.  It would be nice if fdisk reported
something like

   fdisk: Cannot open device /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2: permission denied.

But it doesn't.

Post by Adrian Ho » Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:08:23

>>Here is the fdisk results:

>>% fdisk -W - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2
>>fdisk: Cannot open device /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2.

> You have to run it as user "root".

> Unfortunatelly, fdisk doesn't print the reason why it was
> unable to open the device.  It would be nice if fdisk reported
> something like

>    fdisk: Cannot open device /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2: permission denied.

> But it doesn't.

# fdisk -W - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2

hang!
--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m